CHAPTER 10

CHAPTER 10

I walk across the ashes and bones and continue to call my family's names. I reach the spot in 12 that is unpassable because of all the burnt down buildings, including the old black market; the Hob. I turn on my feet and realize they must have went the other way. Suddenly, I hear a whistling noise. It doesn't sound human so i usume it is a mockingjay. I still briskly walk to the other side of 12. I think of where they might be, looking for me. In my old house? At the fence? The fence ....... Gale! I forgot! I dart over to the fence and find it not on. He must be at home then. Now I feel less guilty. I see Peeta and Rose lurking near the fence shouting for me. I wave my arms and announce my appearence. Rose comes running for me and hugs me. She rests her head between both my legs. Peeta walks over and brings me into a hug also.

"Katniss! Where were you?" Peeta asks with concern.

I look away.

"Tied to a tree" I mutter.

They don't hear, so i look away and we walk back home. Just then, Peeta cups his hands and places them on his head.

"I forgot about district 4!" He exclaims.

"We can still bring Rose to Haymitch and I have specail place only my family and Gale knows about, that we can visit. It's amazing. It can be somewhat like 4, since there is a pond to swim in!" I say, making the place sound better than it is.

I didn't wanna miss my night with Peeta. He agrees and we walk Rose to Haymitch's. She knocks on the door and runs inside. We stop at home and get into our bathing suits so we can swim, even if it is about to rain. We don't bring anything because it will only be a little while in the woods. I hold Peeta's hand and we walk under the fence, towards the pond. I lead the way since he doesn't know where the pond is. When we reach there, I do my toe in the water.

"It's a bit cold, but I thi- AHHHH!" I start to say but then Peeta pushes me in. I go to the bottom of the lake unprepared and swim back to the surface.

"Peeta!" I say, frustrated.

He laughs at me and slips in also. This is my chance for payback. I dive underwater and grab his foot. He slips and falls into the pond because of the force. He's underwater and he opens his eyes to see me; smiling at him from underwater. Running out of breath, I swim to the surface again.

"Payback is never good! Now I'm just going to have to give MORE payback!" Peeta says with a grin swiping his face.

Uh oh. I know what he's going to do. I swim fast across the pond to the other side, but he follows close behind. Peeta tickles my foot, making me stop and laugh, treading water. He picks me up and begins to bob me up and down in the water. He is going to throw me.

"No! No, Peeta! Don't throw me!" I say, grinning and half laughing.

"Too late for that, Katniss! I already have you!" He says.

At that, he throws me halfway across the pond. I squeal and hit the water with a big splash. The water makes a white noise with nothing moving around me. The water fills my ears and I float back to the surface; laughing. Peeta contains his laughter and picks me up again, bridal style. He leans down and gives me a small kiss on my lips. The water on my lips and his lips have a different taste, being pressured together by us. It feels almost like a salty type, watery kiss. For some reason, it brings back memories I've never had that I wish I had. Maybe it was just the water taste. Peeta leans up and kisses my nose before letting me stand on my feet again. I close my eyes and breathe in the aroma of the pond. I dip underwater and just relax down there, letting my hair float wherever it wants to. There is no current and the only movement is of the fish deeper down and Peeta, swimming across from me. Needing air, I fix my hair behind my head and go above water again. I wipe my eyes and Peeta comes out from behind me and wraps his arms around me. I breathe deeply and he puts his chin on my head. I feel his chin moving as he speaks.

"This place is beautiful. Is this where you went to fish as a kid?"

"Yes. This is the place. It is amazing. This is my childhood in the woods. Memories of my dad and Gale come back to me while staying here, and I am going to make a memory for you." I turn to him as I speak the last part. I drag him underwater and plant a kiss on his lips. He accepts it and we kiss until we run out of breath, and still with our lips locked, we rise above the surface. I'm tightly up against him and he brings us closer. I have to tilt my head upwards to reach him. Already I can tell; This is going to be a great day with Peeta.