Chapter 91 - Even My Dad Does Sometimes (Ed Sheeran)

Start from the beginning

Daryl started to bury the dead, flatly refusing to let me help.

"I was in there too, Babe. Exposed just as you were"  My arguments fell on deaf ears.

So I left him talking to Rick. Went to help Maggie at the fence line.

We found the dead rats, tied to it like a daisy chain. Someone's been feeding the walkers, drawing them in.

Is that why we've had so many build-ups lately?

Maggie screamed. And I nearly bricked it, watching in horror as the chain links started to buckle under their combined weight.

"GET BACK NOW!"

I heard Daryl's voice yell to the others as he wrapped an arm around my waist. Hauling me to him and away from danger.

Rick sacrificed the prison piglets. Enticing the walkers away so we could shore up the fence a bit.

We staggered back towards the prison, Daryl's arm tight around me again. That's when he told me, about Karen and David being murdered. Their bodies set alight.

I can sense he isn't quite sure though? If they were actually dead and gone before....

Then he went on to say how Rick nearly killed Tyreese. After he almost went crazy in grief. Would've  killed him if Daryl hadn't intervened.

Oh Jeez, Ty....I gotta find him asap. Can't begin to imagine what he's going through right now?

😢

Seeing it all play out so quickly has affected my man badly. He just needed to talk it out so he can go on.

Before we parted, Daryl wrapped me up in both arms.

Simply held me for a minute, his forehead resting on mine. Neither of us saying a word. Just giving each other whatever strength we can.

Now I can go on too.

DARYL

So many people are gettin sick real fast. Quarantine has more folk in than out of it now.

The committee met and Hershel told us about the desperate need for antibiotics.

Because of our increase in numbers lately? The stash Nate scavenged is almost gone along with most of the original prison medicines.

There's only a few dozen or so saline I.V. bags and some paracetamol left now.

Told him I'll take a group on a run, almost fifty miles to a big veterinary college. Me, Michonne, Bob and Tyreese. Took an hour or so for us to prepare and for Hershel to write out a list.

Once we were ready to go I went huntin for Nate. So I can let her know what we're doin. Tell her to stay safe. That I'll be back to her soon as I can.

"Yer seen my missus?"  I asked Rick.

"No, but she can't be too far. Probably with Maggie cos Glenn just got taken down too. Doc S as well. Hershel has just put himself in with the sick....trying to help them."

Damn that stubborn Old Man....we need his ass safe!

need it safe!

Found Mags and she looks like hell. Can't do nuthin but tell her Glenn will be Ok. Gonna get the medicine he needs, she just has to hang in there and not give up.

But Nate ain't with her either. Nor is she with Carl and Judith, which is way strange?

Carol stumbled across the courtyard and I ran towards her. Have to find the missus and say goodbye to her. So we can get this shinny on the road.

Can't....won't ever leave. Not without kissin her goodbye.

Got closer. See somethin in Carol's face....

....she's lookin just at me. No one else....only me.

"NO!!!!"  I screamed fit to burst.

Doubled over in the most agonising pain. Pullin my hair to try and rouse myself from what must be some kinda awake-nightmare.

"NO!"  I just kept howling.

Pacing back and forth while ramming my fists at thin air. Seeing nuthin, except utter blackness.

Dropped my ass to the ground. Can't stop my cryin and hollerin.

😱😭😱😭😱

Felt Carol's arms slide around me, rockin my body and kissin my head. Tellin me Nate is young....strong. And too shit stubborn to ever let this kick her down.

That she has Hershel beside her. He'll keep her fighting.

She helped me to my feet, still huggin me tight.

Then Michonne and Maggie joined her. Felt Ty's hand gripping my shoulder. Carl wrapped himself around me too, tryin not to sob.

Finally Rick, pullin my head down to rest against his own.

Everyone just holdin me tight as I cried. Like my heart is breakin.

All of us....cryin.

*

Carol led me to the visitor's room. Where prisoners met with their families, a glass wall between em.

Hershel is on the other side.

He took one look at my face and raced off to get Nate. As fast as a one-legged man can race anyways.

She crept in slowly. Her eyes red, sweatin with breath that's a bit ragged. Lookin like she just has herself a bad head cold.

My heart's pounding. Thought I was comin close to passing out. Have to keep believing Carol. That Nate is strong....and she'll hold on until I get back.

"Hey, Dixon"  She gave me her sweet smile.

"Hear you're going on a road trip without me. Not bloody fair!  You better make it up to me when you get home, mister....Honeymoon Residence."

She let out a small cough.

"Bet yer sweet ass I will. Gotta make yer scream some more"  I tried to smile back at her.

"Yeah, yeah. Promises....promises"  This time I got a little laugh.

Can't stand it no more, can't be the strong one any longer. The Chinese burn is more than killing me now.

"No....yer promise me! Yer look at me and yer fuckin promise, Nate Dixon. Don't yer dare go getting lost. Yer keep fightin and hold on until I get back."

"Swear to me, Baby Girl....pleeeease!"  I begged her while pounding away on the glass with my palms.

She gazed back at me. Her eyes are rimmed with the orange that betrays her pain. But the insides hold the deepest indigo.

"I love you. I love you and I swear I'll try, Daryl Dixon. Waited all my life for you, Babe. Always will. Don't get lost"  Her hands came up to meet mine.

Hershel returned to help her out.

"Yer take care a yerself too, Old Man. Need yer to look after my missus."

He nodded back at me.

"Yer be a good girl now....I'll see yer when I get home. Love yer, Mrs Dixon"  I whispered as she slowly backed away.

Wavin to me and blowin a million kisses.

Chinese burn....Chinese burn....CHINESE FUCKIN BURN....