Chapter 52 - I See Red (Split Enz)

NATE

Lori had said that today was a good day....and she's right.

Oh, don't get me wrong. It all went to hell and back. Over and over in those twenty-four hours. But it came back and that's the main thing.

Though for two of us? The day didn't get any better. In fact, it got worse....way worse.

And I know it'll never come back.

***

Hershel lives.

That man is a fighter, but he also has everyone in his corner. Including two very strong women who saved his life.

Lori remains an enigma to me. Sometimes friendly, sometimes vulnerable and other times....so far up herself she wouldn't be able to see daylight.

But in the last few days, I've come to like and respect the bejeezus out of her. How can I not? After what she did for Hershel.

At one point, he stopped breathing and she gave him mouth to mouth. Bringing him back. Giving him back to all of us.

Carol?  Well, I'm simply in awe of her. And the quiet friendship she offers has made me feel truly welcomed.

When we were sorting out the cleaning stuff, she told me a bit about her past. Her now-dead but far from mourned husband. How she survived when her daughter didn't. Hearing the story about Sophia made my heart grieve for her.

Carol seemed a bit shocked at herself....regretful even? That she'd offered up such personal information so easily to an almost-stranger. I hurried to try and set her mind at ease.

"Please don't fret. I....I've got myself some codes that I try to live by. They'll probably seem pretty silly to you, but one of them...."

"Well, just know that whatever is said to me? In confidence or if I think it's private? It goes no further. If I blabbed, then how could anyone ever trust me again? How can I trust myself....you know?"

She nodded to me gratefully....and understood. I think?

Some might believe her to be weak. Yet she's turning out to be one of the strongest women I've ever met....just like my Mum.

And there was certainly no sign of any weakness today. As she kept a calm head, tending to Hershel's wounds. Stemming the never-ending tide of blood that surely would've killed him.

Once he stabilised a bit, fell into sleep and not unconsciousness? Carol asked me to accompany her outside.

She chose a female walker and I dispatched her with a picket to the head. Dragged her through a hole in the fence and into the courtyard.

I then watched on in horrified fascination. As she started slicing carefully into the abdomen of the dead again woman.

"Lori had Carl by C section and this baby will probably need to be delivered the same way. Hershel's given me some training so I can assist too. But with him out of the picture for now....I have to practice in any way I can. I appreciate you helping me, Nate."

"Anything I can do....you got it!"

She stopped her dissection and peered up.

"You're one special girl. You know that, right? You do your parents very proud."

She briskly brushed aside my embarrassment at her praise.

"I sure hope so, well....I tried to anyways. Cos they were the absolute best. I'm not special though, Carol. Not in any way. I've just been really lucky is all"  I stuttered back.