Chapter 30 - We Can Work It Out (Beatles)

NATE

"I'm so sorry I let you down, Jorge. The risk of hitting Miguel was too high. I screwed up big-time, right from the get-go."

I came back to earth and apologised. After he touched my shoulder yet again  to get my attention.

He had to. Because my head is still currently out of service....unseeing and unhearing.

"Don't, Nate. You followed orders exactly as I expected you would. Are you Ok? "  His eyes are piercing and they now appear to be closely examining mine.

"Yup, I be chillin"  I responded simply.

Gave my head a brisk shake before following them into the residence.

"How's the butt, Felipe....still tootin?"

His response was a stream of Spanish cusses at first. Then he smiled sheepishly and asked if I'll kiss it better. That earnt him a whack around the head from Abuela.

Ooooh, she's quick  🤣

"Can you talk to our guest? Try and find out who they are, where they're from? I need to get a feel for these guys. But I doubt he'll open up to any of us"  Guille led me inside.

He swiftly kissed then stroked my cheek before I pushed open the frosted doors.

Only someone has already beaten me to the inquisition.

Should've known....

*

"Ahhhh, here she is. My very own Lara Croft. Come and meet my new friend....Glenn. He's Korean! "

Leo is in total awe as if an alien has landed in our midst.

"Hi Lara"  Glenn smiled tentatively and I burst out laughing.

"It's Nate....just Nate. Apologies if Little Ms Chatterbox here has been talking your ear off. He doesn't get out that much"  Winked at my bestie to soften his outrage at my teasing.

"I'm also sorry if my friends hurt you, Glenn. They're just trying to get Mig back....and the guns. I hope you understand now, why we're so desperate for them. It truly isn't personal."

My hand swept around the rec room where several of the seniors have gathered.

All of them rubbernecking  😏

"Yeah, Leo's been explaining it all to me. Are....are my  friends alright?"  He asked a little fearfully.

"Yup, right as rain. They've gone away to think things over. Hopefully, they'll come back with Miguel and start talking reasonably. Well, I think the cop will. Not too sure about the bowman."

"I doubt he'd know reason if it jumped up and bit him on the ass"  I added a tad sarcastically.

"Oh, that's just Daryl."

"He is  an ass some of the time. Except he's....well we're looking for his brother who got left behind a couple of days ago. Injured, more than likely dead by now. They are....were close. So Daryl's a bit on edge."

"A whole lot on edge actually."

Hearing that made me feel so ashamed of my childish behaviour and snarky words  🥺

"So, thanks to 'Telephone, Television....Tell-a-Leo'  here...."  I nudged mega-mouth,

"....you probably know all about us. How've you been doing since this all went down?"