Chapter 17 - We Are Family (Sister Sledge)

NATE

Oh....thank you sweet Jeezus!  😰

Right at that moment we pulled up outside the compound, waiting to be let in.

The relief came off me in waves. However, that solace abruptly ceased. Soon as Guillermo opened the door and took my hand to help me out.

"You've still not answered me, Chiquita. But you will....and soon"  He promised.

Again, I apologise dear compadres....

....SHIT....SHITFUCKFUCKETYFUCKFUCK....!

The doors to the warehouse opened and I came back to earth with an almighty thump.

I'd heard Guillermo's words earlier, only I still  feel shame over my behaviour yesterday. Heard Eduardo's sweet and respectful words too. Yet doubts about the vato's willing acceptance of me in their group....gripped me hard again.

Now I'm really  going to find out, huh?

Felt forty or so pairs of eyes settle on me when I walked inside the workshop. My feet stopped and I slowly peeped up....readying myself.

Then dissolved into a big puddle of sooky la-la mush.

They all smiled and nodded. As if everything is how it should be.

Once more, the briefest touch of fingertips to mine. So I took a deep breath, gave an internal shake and whispered....

"Ok. Ok then, Derpa...."

"Hermanos...."  Guillermo announced and all the vato's turned their attention from me to him,

"....Christmas has come a little early this year."

He held up the remaining four big bottles of scotch Leo gifted to him. The responding cheers are deafening.

"But before we can celebrate and welcome the newest members of our family...."  He gave a grateful nod to Eduardo who almost blushed,

"....we've got some unpacking to do. Vamos."

Everyone moved towards the cars and now I can hear whoops of excitement over what they're finding.

"Come"  Guillermo turned to his companions.

"Our work is almost finished for the day. We need to see Leo and Nate settled into their new home. Let's hurry. Dinner is in a couple of hours....and I'm starving."

He gazed at me while speaking but I pretend not to notice.

I desperately need some alone time again....far away from this man. To try and work out what the hell is going on inside this 'silly little virgin'.

Mum said the words 'freight train'  and 'snails'  but it hasn't come to that. Not yet thank goodness, as I've already got more than enough on my plate to deal with.

 At least the zombies are the least of my problems for a little while.

*

We entered the main part of the residence and Abuela came skipping up to me like a schoolgirl.

Have you ever seen an eighty-year-old skip? It's a sight I can tell you. I prepared myself for the inevitable onslaught of cheek pinching and sure enough....it came.

After a few minutes of happy welcomes from her and some of the other seniors, Guillermo fended them off. Promising he'll return me to them later.

We walked down the corridor and came to a stop.