Chapter 70 - Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again (The Angels)

NATE

Waking well before sunrise, I got as many chores out of the way as possible....and then some. So my day and conscience will be clear.

Carol and Carl are on fence duty while Judith is with moi in the cellblock.

When Carl handed her over to me for babysitting duties? He proudly introduced our baby sister by her new official names. He'd thought long and hard. Settling on the first name of a grade school teacher he really admired.

"I'm so very pleased to meet you....Miss Judith Lil' Ass-Kicker  Grimes"  I whispered.

Nuzzling my nose against hers as Carl laughed and left us to it.

I finished prepping our lunch and evening meal in advance, while carrying her around in a baby sling. Talking or humming to her softly.

Then I continued working on the prison plans.

I'm reproducing them on huge sheets of draft paper. Layered with some carbon paper I found in an office. Once we have a few copies then Hershel, Maggie, Oscar and I are going to work things out.

Like the best place for veggie gardens and where to place the water systems. Sites for solar panels....and so on. Long-term goals rather than on-the-fly decisions.

One thing I really want to focus on is security. After all? This place was built for keeping people in, not really to keep people out. Living dead or otherwise.

I've got quite a few ideas on the un-dead but need Rick's advice on the rest.

Also want to set up a proper communications system then get the drones up and running again. I know Carl will enjoy them as much as Mig had.

All these plans are running through my head and I let them. Because it stops me thinking of what might be going on back in Woodbury.

They've been gone for nearly a whole day and I've felt every single millisecond.

*

Beth came down the stairs, her face carrying a secret smile.

I've been trying to ignore her as much as possible. So far it hasn't been too difficult, as she keeps out of my way as well.

Yet every now and then, when I think I'm on my own? I'll get this feeling....and peek around to find her eyes boring into me like death rays.

She sees me as the bane of her life. Laying all the blame for her actions entirely at my feet.

I know Hershel has laid down the law with her and she only has one chance left. But I also know she won't be able to help herself. If she can have a go at killing me....who knows what else she's capable of?

She pretends though....in front of everyone else.

Lays it on thick that it's just stress. Our new way of living....fighting the un-dead. She acts remorseful and treats me nice as pie when there are other people around.

All of us know better than to believe her. And when I spy that false smile? I instinctively put my guard up.

Because there's no one else around to see it....apart from me and Judith.

She sat down at the end of the table and started talking.

"I can look after the baby for a while so you can get this done a bit quicker"  She purred....all fake innocence.

Well, Beth. I think you  can just go play a nice little game of 'hide and go fuck yourself'!

There's no way I'm gonna hand Judith over. Rick doesn't trust her an inch....won't even let her get close.