Chapter 50 - I Only Wanna Be With You (Dusty Springfield)

DARYL

Heard small movements then something soft thumped me in the head. Her natural perfume coverin my face.

I put my vest back on then lifted the blanket and pillow. Put em in place around my body before settling back again.

Smiling hugely in the dark while I listen to her angry breathing.

Another point scored!

Seein her again?

She still looks like jailbait....the world's sexiest Miss Universe. Only there's somethin new in her eyes. Like she's done a whole lotta growing up in the last cupla months.

Hell....ain't we all?

The look on her face. When I crept into her camp, snuck up behind and she spun around? It filled my head once more. Just like her big, long-lashed purple eyes did as well.

Nate must have super hearin or somethin, cos I went real quiet and careful. But somehow, she still knew I was there behind her long before I even got close.

Her first look was total shock. Like she seen a ghost or somethin?

Understandable, I guess....she didn't have herself a clue we were with Hershel. Probably never thought she'd ever see any of us again after Atlanta. Me....Rick and the others.

But then, she really  looked at me. Like she was gonna throw herself at me or something? No, not to try and rip my throat out. It's almost as if she were gonna....

'Oh, little brother. Ya really got it somethin bad....ain'tcha.'

'Stop fuckin kidding yourself!'

'Fine little girl like this? She ain't gonna look twice at a piece of low down, ol' white trash like yourself.'

'She gets wind of how ya thinkin, boy? She'll laugh herself silly then spit in ya face. This one'll never understand ya, not like your big ol' brother Merle.'

'So don't ya even try. Don't make an even bigger fool of yourself than ya already are. Get her outta ya head! Ain't no room in it for her and ya got no fuckin right to drag her down into it.'

'Know ya place....DUMMY!'

I wish Merle  will fuckin get out of my head.

He keeps slippin in there. Ever since that day at Hershel's farm, when I damned near scragged my own ass. Fell off that horse while searchin for Sophia.

Know I'm shit! Don't need him to keep reminding me. And I know my place alright.

My ol' man used to teach me where my place is just about every single day.

He damaged me inside and out, both him n' Merle.

But I ain't them, not then and not now. I sure as fuck ain't no angel, but I know I feel different.

Am different.

It's as if the things I'm doin now are finally the right things for once?

As if 'my place'  is movin on from where I thought it was. Or rather....where I thought it should  be. Things, lots of things don't hurt so bad anymore.

I don't hurt so bad no more. Especially when I'm not rememberin.

Got this group....no....family  now. And they've done more than Ok by me. Even though I still act like a prick.