Chapter 61 - Signed, Sealed, Delivered (Stevie Wonder)

NATE

"You must  have a say in this decision, Nate. It's your  life Beth tried to take. And now she  needs to take full responsibility for her actions."

Hershel's chiding me. And totally justified in doing so I might add.

I feel awful that I've disappointed this good man, who's simply trying his hardest to make sure justice is done.

Don't want to hurt him is all. Because he's suffered more than enough already, thanks to his stepdaughter's behaviour.

I carefully rose from the courtyard bench seat. I'm still a bit wobbly....it's only been a few days since I came back from the dead.

Daryl insisted on carrying me down from our tower.

Though he bitched every single step of the way. Moaning that his back will never be the same again. Hauling my ass around all the time when he's got more important stuff to do.

Yup, everything's back to normal between us. Well....almost....

***

I woke with a start when Carl lifted bubby off my arm. He whispered it's now feeding time and he'll return to check on me again first thing tomorrow.

"Come here, you!"  Beckoning him closer, I landed a smacking great kiss on his head.

"What was that for?"  He looked flustered but chuffed as all hell too.

"Cos"  I replied with the stock standard answer most teens his age can totally relate to.

He laughed and tip-toed down the stairs, holding his sister carefully. As if she's a precious porcelain doll  🥰

Ahhhh....now I know why he got embarrassed at me smooching him.

Daryl's been here the whole time, watching us.

He's leaning against one of the windows, the light from my lamp just reaching him. Jeez, he looks exhausted. Yet beyond happy too?

Oh, Ok....I get it....ummmm  yup. It's good....great huh?

That he took his own  break. Spent some hours up close and personal with Carol who must also be missing him terribly. And he would've been so shit scared all that time she was lost in the tombs.

Probably devastated and grieving, believing he'd lost her forever.

Well, it's time....eh? Have to do it soon as. Because I've never been a pro at crastinating.

Your future life of pretence starts right now, you dumb bitch. So, in the immortal words of RuPaul....

Don't fuck it up!

But, first things first. Again....deep breath!

"Hey, Dixon. Back so soon? Ummmm  really hate to ask, seeing as your butt currently appears to be in energy-saving mode. But I'm busting for the dunny and I doubt I'll make it to my feet on my own."

"Little help getting vertical maybe?"  I asked, holding out my hands so he can haul me upright.

He muttered something that sounded like "Is bein a smart-ass yer sworn duty?". Before getting down on one knee and lifting me without another word.

"Well the hours are long and the pay sure sucks. But the work is very  rewarding"  I shot back.

Then I squeaked....when those still outstretched hands of mine came into contact with one rock-hard chest. Felt my cheeks start blazing in the blink of an eye. Yanked my palms away as if they'd been burnt.