Chapter 25 - Death and All His Friends (Coldplay)

NATE

Maté and I stepped into an Aladdin's cave.

And the treasure is shelf after heaving shelf of glistening jewels. In the form of canned food, bottles of pickles, sauces and vegetables.

There are plastic containers full of flour and pasta, sacks of rice, cartons of other dried foods. Along with a stash of toiletries, toilet paper and medicines.

Jorge walked over, cupped my face in his hands and leaned forward. Thought he was going to kiss me on the forehead at first. But instead, he pinched my cheeks.

Awwww Jeez....he knows how much I hate anyone else doing that but the oldies!  😡

"Good call"  He whispered.

Food everywhere. Yet only so much will fit in the Jeep which leaves us in a quandary. It's been a long journey and returning later to restock could be dangerous.

But leaving it all here? We risk someone else finding it.

What to do?

"We pack whatever we can and think as we go"  Jorge announced.

So we got to work.

*

The back of the vehicle, floor space and some of the seat space is now jam-packed. I turn to advise Jorge only his attention is elsewhere.

Staring at a carport, three houses down.

A tarpaulin flapped slightly in the breeze and as it lifted, we glimpsed a wire cage underneath. His face registered some recognition and he indicated for Maté to stay with me.

He and Mig trotted down the street. Heads swivelling as they run. On the lookout for any movement.

They opened the gate to the driveway and walked up to the carport. Jorge flung back the tarp which revealed a larger portion of the cage. There was a flurry of activity and for a while, I hold my breath.

Because I can't see either of them.

They reappear suddenly, straining under the weight of something dragging behind them. The cage appears to be moving?

Maté and I can now see why.

It's the top of a large trailer similar to a U-Haul. Wonder why the owner didn't fill it up with their stuff when they evacuated?

Maté and I turned to each other and grinned at our good luck.

That's when I saw them.

The house next door is obscured by a large, solid concrete wall. They came from behind that. The fence blocked their growls....which are intensifying now they've spotted us.

OHFUCKME....nine?

😱

Maté raised his eyebrows at me in question and I quickly nod back to indicate I'm in.

Do I really have a choice?

I snatch my other hunting knife out of its sheath and hold one tightly in each hand. Then just as Jorge taught me, we run towards them. Before they can spread out and surround us.

Chose the one closest to me. Raise my knife and....

*

It's almost as if time stood still? 

Everything encapsulated itself into snapshots. Just like the opening scene of Deadpool almost?

Snap!

A walking corpse with half of its face showing bare skull, a young male.

Ribs partially exposed, innards hanging out like a grotesque ribbon. Mouth open and ready to clamp down.

My knife, half embedded in its temple. Other hand on what remains of its chest, holding his body back.

Snap!

Female, over sixty. Still in her night dress.

Black hair with large grey streaks. Her mouth open, revealing shards of flesh caught in her teeth. A bloom of rusted blood surrounding a hole exposed in her nightdress. Old gunshot wound to the chest.

The knife in my left hand entering her eye socket.

Snap!

Spin around.

The rear view of a head bent down....lunging toward Maté who has his back to it. Both of my knives slamming into its skull.

One through each ear.

Snap!

Hand on my shoulder blade. My head swivelling to see another male....mouth approaching my neck from behind.

My knife tip hitting the centre of his forehead in a backwards thrust.

Snap!

Duck and shove corpse in its abdomen with my left shoulder. It explodes....showering my head and body with blood and rotten guts.

Now on my knees, both knives in eye sockets. Skeletal hands wrapped around my canvas-covered throat.

Snap!

Standing with my arm above my head, ready to bring the knife down on another one in a sweeping arc. Hand clasping wrist to stop momentum....arm around waist.

Warm hand....warm arm....Jorge's face in front of mine now. Lips moving but no noise.

SSSSNAPPPP!

*

Everything resumed normal motion.

Jorge carefully brought his hand down with my wrist still enclosed. He kept an arm around my waist. Hugging me tight against him.

While at the same time, peering with concern over towards Maté.

Who nodded to indicate he's Ok.

He let go and reached into his pocket to bring out a do-rag. Gently cleaned my face, getting rid of whatever gore he can.

I gave a whispered 'thank you'. Took a mouthful of water from the bottle Mig held to my mouth. Rinsed and spat it out.

Then glanced around quickly to make doubly sure everything and everyone is Ok.

Ok....Ok....

"Excuse me please?"

Stumbling over to the edge of the fence I did a technicolour yawn, quietly as possible. Kept doing so until there's nothing left but....nothing.

Wiping my lips, I trudged back to the trio. Miguel handed over the water once more. I rinsed and then drank deeply.

Turning to Maté we both grabbed each other and hugged hard. He touched his forehead to mine.

"Mil gracias....patear el culo!"

"Back atcha double, bud"  I replied before we turned around to survey the wreckage.

Just lost my zombie virginity folks!

It was bloody, messy and sure as fuck hurt like hell alright. But Jorge didn't lie....

....it did get easier.

Dictionary

Mil gracias....patear el culo (Spanish) - A thousand thanks....kick ass!