Chapter 5 - Leaving on a Jet Plane (John Denver)

NATE

***

Well, my bags are packed and I'm ready to go....

You read the prologue, dear fellow survivors. Yes....the BFF  in my life so far was Shae.

After graduation, she moved up to Perth and started Uni. I dipped into my savings and trekked up to the big smoke most weekends to visit. Feeling like a wide-eyed country bumpkin for the most part.

And yes....she tried to pair me up with several eligible and dozens of ineligible boys  she knew  🙄

After a while? The thought of visiting my friend was palled by the prospect of being paraded around. Viewed like a dairy cow at a stock auction.

But I stuck it out, so I could see her.

She finished Uni and stayed on in Perth to work. And during my last visit, instead of finalising our big plans....making online bookings?

I was blindsided by a sudden turn of events.

Shae informed me she got engaged!

Not verbally but by flashing her ring finger repeatedly in my face. Eventually, I focused on the small cubic zirconia ensconced thereon.

She then proceeded to explain to me the realities of life. Much as a parent would to a confused two-year-old.

How she couldn't possibly give up six months of her life and her hard-earned i.e. her Dad's hard-earned cash. Just to traipse around the world with an old school acquaintance. A trip that was never more than a childish little pipedream.

To her anyways.

That she has a very important and busy life now. Is going to be a married woman soon and can't justify such a 'folly'.

Shae wished me 'safe travels'. Said that after the wedding? We could catch up sometime, maybe. And she'd show me the pics....tell me how her big day went.

Childish little pipedream? Folly????

Catch up....sometime....maybe????

AFTER THE WEDDING????!!!!

So that was that.

After all those years of being BFFs?  Not only had Shae eliminated the B  and last F....but I've been unceremoniously dumped from her proposed wedding celebrations.

Seemingly her 'important and busy'  life afterwards as well. So, there goes the middle F  too.

And WTF?

Old  school acquaintance? I'm three bloody years younger than her!

I didn't know it was even possible. To feel so stunned, furious, redundant and heartbroken all at the same time.

Within barely half an hour of my arrival, I took myself back to the bus station. Where I sat, having visions of shredding Shae's wedding dress with a hunting knife.

While she's wearing it!

Kept my anger going on the three-hour trip home. But as soon as I stormed into the kitchen and spotted Mum?

My eyes spurted like water pistols and I dissolved into a gutted puddle.

If breaking up with an almost lifelong friend is this bad....then what will breaking my heart over a bloke feel like?