Chapter 19 - Workin' for the Man (Roy Orbison)

NATE

It's beyond amazing how quickly Leo and I have settled into life at the compound.

Gradually the vato's opened up to having two strangers in their midst. Leo proclaimed it's his winning personality and flair for telling a story that did it.

I think it was the scotch myself, but nyeh....I'm not going to burst his bubble  😀

The vato's respect for Guillermo almost borders on adoration. I know it's a two-way street though. He's scrupulously fair in his leadership and they all do what he asks. No questions and no second thoughts.

Though it's rare he has to dole out orders.

As I said before, they're well-oiled machines in everything they do. Hervé it appears, was an aberration. And one they took care of themselves without any prompting from Guillermo.

No man is an island though and G can't do it all on his own. Whenever a big decision has to be made or a dispute settled, he consults with his small group of trusted advisors.

Firstly, there's Felipe. The senior care nurse who originally looked after the oldies before the world went into meltdown.

Eduardo who had been and still is....a damn good mechanic. Enrique who was once an accountant and now looks after the supplies.

Franco who had some kind of military training and now takes care of weaponry.

Last but not least, Jorge. Who's in charge of security but scouts and organises the supply runs as well. Goes on all of them himself too. He's also G's second in command and most trusted friend.

Everyone is cagey about his background, but I've got my suspicions. Make sure I keep them to myself though.

My heart is always in my mouth whenever the men leave to go on supply runs. All  of them not just Guillermo. And like everyone else? I breathe a sigh of relief once they return....all safe and accounted for.

Leo's found his niche with the seniors. Has appointed himself occupational therapist and chief gossiper  🤣

Each day he has a timetable set up. To draw them into doing some things for themselves and not sit around for hours on end. Dwelling on what's happening in the outside world.

One day might be spent fabricating better coverings for the windows. Another one is set aside for cleaning guns or weapons. Nothing too strenuous. Just enough to keep them occupied between rest periods, games and chit-chat sessions.

His Spanish is coming along in leaps and bounds. But best of all....the oldie's spirits are picking up big-time. The vato's are beyond grateful and I'm so uber proud of him, I could explode.

Eduardo nominated himself as my guide and mentor for the first week or two. I'm really happy to have him as he's such a gentle giant and a very patient teacher.

Each day we'll try another task to see where my talents lay. And I'm lucky to be able to offer up quite a few.

From changing parts or servicing the few cars and bikes they have. To maintaining the compound walls and doing sentry duty. Fabricating spikes for the outside of the walls, even zombie disposal i.e. burning bodies.

Though I still haven't gone outside the walls proper yet. To encounter them face to face while they're still walking or floundering on spikes.

And I'm really glad the vato's aren't sexist. In that they don't just relegate me to what most men would think of as women's duties. Like laundering clothes, dishwashing, making beds....yadda....yadda.