"Today, you will use the class period to begin your research proposal, which will consist of three paragraphs. First, you'll tell me what you want to research. Include a few ideas for avenues of research and what you'll seek to learn. If, for example, I were interested in writing a research report on 17th-century ships, a topic about which I know virtually nothing, I could begin by investigating what ships were used for, what types of ships there were, and, perhaps, what seafaring advances were made in the 17th century.

"Second, you'll tell me about your audience. How might you approach explaining your topic to a general audience? What special things will you have to consider, such as definitions or background information?

"Finally, give me a taste of why you're interested in the topic. That part should be straightforward. Are there any questions?"

A student toward the back of the class raised his hand. "When is it due?"

"The proposal? I'm so glad you asked, Keith; it's due in our next class period, which would be Friday."

This announcement was met with a general sigh. Tess's heart sank as she added this work to the growing mental "To Do" list she'd have when she got home. Jacqui had been right: two English classes at once was no joke, and Tess had not fully understood how difficult the rest of her schedule would be on top of it.

Ms. Keene smiled. "Don't worry too much, class. This first assignment is mostly a thinking exercise to ensure you are on the right track. Now: let's get this research party started! Gather your things, please, and we'll head to the library. Annnd...go!" She threw her arms up as if she were one of the flag girls at a drag race.

Students began to collect their books and belongings without much enthusiasm. Tess looked up at the board. The excitement of her lunchtime exchange with Isaac was far from her mind. What was she going to write about to fill three to four pages?

"Come on, Tess! We can share a computer in the lab." Jacqui tucked her books underneath her arm and nodded toward the door.

Tess hurried to follow her. "Jacqui, what's MLA?"

Jacqui raised her brows. "It's a citation style. You're telling me you've never used MLA? It's the standard for English classes, I think."

"I...I didn't take English last year. I guess I must be behind."

"Girl, you'll be fine. They have websites where you can plug in all info and it'll generate the citations for you. As long as you know the basics so you can check that it's formatted correctly, it's easy. I'll show you."

Tess sent up a silent prayer of thanks to the Powers that Be that she lived in the 2010s, with websites that made research papers a little more manageable. "Great." They rounded the corner toward the library, following the stream of their classmates. Ms. Keene trailed behind them, ensuring there were no stragglers.

"Do you know what you're going to write about?" Tess asked.

"I think I'll see what's out there about dissection as a learning tool in classrooms. Maybe I'll feel less squeeby about dissecting a frog if I know it's good for me."

Tess wrinkled her nose. "Wow, that's...specific."

"What can I say? It's on my mind. What are you going to do?"

A boy from their class was holding open the door for the students in front of them. Tess and Jacqui stepped into the library and turned toward the door to the computer lab. "I have no idea."

Jacqui made a beeline toward the one remaining unclaimed computer, snagging an extra chair on the way. As they sat down in front of the screen, she said, "What do you like to do? Maybe that would give you an idea."