Chapter 29

Arriving at Common Grounds, as the sun was just setting, we got out of the car and headed into the shop. Oliver was behind the counter drying cups.

The few students who were left, were just packing up there things and leaving.

"Amelie, what a pleasure it is to see you."

"You're not usually this happy to see me."

"Only because I know you'll be able to get rid of a certain imbecile shortly."

"And why can't you get rid of him?"

"You know he never listens to me." It was then he noticed me. "Bonding with your daughter again?"

"I'm not bonding. I'm just showing enough attention so she won't go slitting her wrists in the middle of the night again."

"You were pretending I didn't exist and nothing was working so I came up with that... Well technically I didn't, Claire did."

"Did she now?"

"Maybe she's finally come around to the idea you're better off dead." Oliver said, putting the last cup away.

"We didn't come here for idle chatter. Sarah Jane has something she wants to tell you." Amelie looked at me, expectantly.

"You're my dad."

"What?"

"Well, obviously not biologically or my adoptive father, but I need you to come with me to the dentist place to give permission."

Oliver sent a look to Amelie. "You went along with this?"

"I would rather not have the whole town aware of who Sarah Jane belongs to, and you know Myrnin is not parent material by any stretch of the imagination."

"And I am?"

Amelie smiled. "Aren't you flattered?"

"You know I hate children."

"It's only for ten minutes. It's not like your taking care of her for the day."

"Plus you deal with embarrassment well... if you get embarrassed at all. That's why I chose you." I piped in.

"You're both insane."

"I believe that title belongs belongs to our dear scientist." Just as Amelie said that, the door opened and Myrnin walked in.

"Sarah Jane! How lovely it is to see you again."

"Tell him, Amelie." Oliver said.

"Tell him that you're my dad?" I asked. Oliver glared daggers at me.

"I thought she was born elsewhere?" Myrnin asked.

"She was."

"I don't understand."

"Good. You don't to."

"Come on, Oliver. The dentist won't be open all night." Amelie left the shop. Oliver said something too quiet to hear and came out from behind the counter, brushing past Myrnin.

"So you and Amelie are back together again?" Myrnin asked.

"Yeah. She started talking to me yesterday and-"

"The Founder won't be kept waiting." The guard said holding open the door. I sighed and shrugged.

"I'll see you later, Myrnin."

"Goodbye, Sarah Jane." As I exited, I looked back and saw Myrnin helping himself to behind the bar. Oliver would kill him for that.

Climbing into the car, the door shut and the guard drove back to the dentist.