Chapter 31

Madison's POV

I had walked back outside the school to meet a smiling Liam. Finally someone that could understand, someone I could talk to. 

"Told you that I'd be here" he said with a calm smile. 

I jumped into his arms and he held me tightly. 

"Thank you." I whispered.

"don't even worry about it what are friends for?" he said then he reached into his pocket and answered his phone.

"Yes mom I know."

"No, I'm fine, I'm still at school, I'm with Madison"

"Yes we'll be right there."

I had totally forgotten about the cafe. I was seriously late, and even though I knew Nancy wouldn't say anything to me I still didn't want to have to put her into the situation of even considering to fire me.

I really needed to get my stuff together. Getting detention and being late for work? Not paying attention in class? What was up with me, oh right Jake was what was up with me. 

"I totally forgot, I'm so sorry!" I said as soon as he had hung up the phone. 

"Don't even worry about it, the cafe is still pretty empty but we're going to have to hurry home if we want to make it in time for the dinner rush, so let's get moving" he said and we started walking up the block. 

"So do you want to tell me about what's going on with Jake, and before you deny it I saw you storm out of the school with him trailing behind you. I know that you guys were living together before, so what happened?" he said spilling this out like he had been thinking about it for a while. 

"Well you see..." I started then telling him about my mom and about how Jake had taken me in. Then I continued on to tell him how confusing it was living there and how I never would know what he was feeling and how he kicked me out after our fight. 

"Wow." is all Liam said as we approached the block that the cafe was on.

"Yeah I know." I said, that was all that I could say. It was because I did know how screwed up this situation had become and how more screwed up it would become if I didn't fix it. 

"Well did you ever open that envelope that your mother had left for you?" 

I stood with my mouth open and stopped abrupt in my steps. I had totally forgotten and with everything else going on I didn't even think that it was still here. But then I remembered...it was back at Jake's where I had left my car, and some of my other stuff. 

"I guess I never got around to opening it...." I said still kind of in shock.

"Well why don't you go back to Jake's to talk and then see if you can get it back after your shift?" he suggested and it seemed like a good idea....hopefully Jake was in a talking mood.

"Okay sounds good." I said calmly even though inside I was still really nervous.

**Time shift to after Madison's shift**

"I am very sorry that I was late today I promise that it won't happen again." I explained while taking off my apron behind the counter.

"No it's fine just don't make a habit of it." Nancy said to me with a smile.

"Well I'll be back in a little bit I just have to make a quick visit to my old house, but I'll be back before it gets too late, I promise." I said and I was sure that I would be. 

It was now nine in the evening and I was planning on walking the couple of blocks to Jake's house. It was dark and cool out. I finally found myself on his front door. I knocked softly twice and then he opened the door.