Chapter 21

"Kayla you look like a fish!" Jessie laughed. We were sat in the back of a yellow taxi cab driving down the streets of New York.

"Shut up Jess. This is my first time in America!"

"I know, but still. You look like you're licking the glass"

I scowled at her and went back to looking out of the window. We were driving through Broadway now and all the signs for all the musicals were flashing brightly. I vibrated in my seat when I saw the sign for Wicked, it's always been my favourite. Jessie stopped talking to Clair and whispered in my ear.

"How about i take you?"

"To where?" I whispered, still staring out the window.

"To see wicked, I'll get us a box"

I stared at her, and Jessie frowned.

"What? I thought it was your favourite? Did i get that wrong?"

"I, I, how did you know that?" I almost yelled.

"You told me ages ago, well you didn't say it was your favourite but you mentioned you loved it because it reminded you of your mum" Jessie smiled,

I laughed, "Blimey Jess, I don't even remember that conversation?!"

Holly rolled her eyes, "Jessie is mystic Megs secret daughter. She psychic!"

"What do you say?" Jessie said, ignoring holly and Clair's eye rolls.

"I'd love too! I'll pay for my ticket though."

Jessie pouted, "then it's not a gift from me to you"

I shook my head, "Jessie you can't buy me everything. I have nothing to give back to you!"

"I don't want anything back, Kay. See it like a date. The man always pays for the date."

Holly, Clair and I laughed, "why are you the man?" I asked

"Because I'm more manly than you!"

I rolled my eyes, "whatever Jess."

Then we drove past the dock to go to the statue of liberty. I bounced up and down in my chair.

"Omg omg omg!" I squealed, "we have to go see Libby Jessie!"

Jessie laughed, "we'll go see Libby, Jay! You're really excited aren't you" she winked

I blushed, "sorry"

Holly laughed, "you're actually so cute, do ya' remember when we first came to New York, guys. We went nuts and spent the whole of the first day just running around being excited!"

Holly, Jessie and Clair burst out laughing, these girls were Jessie's Harriet.

****

I sat on the bed and watched Jessie get changed. She was bent over her suitcase in her underwear, rummaging through her clothes for something.

She pulled out a bikini, "swimming!" She yelled, beaming.

My eyes went wide, and Jessie frowned, "swimming?"

"I don't want to, I'll just watch."

"I thought you loved swimming, you told me you used to swim when you were little."

I rolled my eyes internally, of course she would remember that, "I don't have a bikini"

Jessie put on her dressing gown, "Why are you lying to me Kayla?"

I took a deep breath, "I'm not."

Jessie's eyes narrowed, "Kayla I can see your bikini in your bag. I thought you loved swimming. Why won't come.