Chapter 24: You're My Only Shorty

Start from the beginning

“I thought she was going to be home?” I asked him.

He shrugged, “I thought she was too.”

“Can  you check on my dad?” I asked, “I’ll go see if she left a note downstairs on the table or something.”

He nodded, “I’ll meet you downstairs.”

               I walked downstairs and found a note on the small table by the door.

Kayla, I should have warned you about this sooner but I didn’t want you to stop me. I wasn’t with David and Demi today. I’m taking a trip to see a distant relative in my hometown. It’s where my other family is buried. My distant relative kept my family’s house and I really want to get closure on some things there. I’ll text you if I need you.

Love, Simone.

“Your dad’s in his room. He actually found an apartment. He’s pretty excited. He can’t move in for another couple weeks though,” Dylan said as he walked down the stairs. He saw the look on my face and asked, “What’s wrong?”

“Simone left,” I told him.

“Left where?”

“She went to her hometown. Apparently she has a distant relative in her family’s house. She wants to get closure and her family is buried in the cemetery there.”

“Isn’t that a good thing?” he asked.

“What do you mean?”

“You always told everyone that they need to get closure. You had to get closure with your dad and your sister before you were able to heal. Maybe Simone just needs to get closure too. She’s having a hard time recovering just like you were at the beginning. She probably needs to go home and face her family. Even if they are just buried there.”

“Yeah you’re right,” I said, “Or… I guess I’m right. I just wish she would have told me. I could have helped her.”

“You didn’t want help either,” Dylan said, “Remember? Closure was a trip that you needed to take yourself. Remember the summer after everything happened? You went traveling around the United States by yourself to discover yourself and you wouldn’t even let me go with you. Simone needed to do it by herself. Just make sure she knows how supportive you are.”

“When did you get so smart?” I smirked.

“I may have learned a few things from my fiancé. She’s the stronger person I know.”

“Right…” I laughed, “What do we do now?”

“The way I see it, we have two choices: we can go to bed or we can go in the game room and challenge each other in a game of Just Dance?”

“You’d actually play this time?” I asked, “No cheating?”

“No cheating,” he promised.

‘”Then you’re on,” I smiled.

“Okay. Bring it on. I’ll race you to the game room.”

               We both took off running to the game room and dad came out to see what all the noise was. “What’s going on?” he asked, “I don’t mean to sound like the parent here, but shouldn’t running around the house be against the rules?”

I shook my head, “Not when you’re racing to get to the game room.”

“Stay,” Dylan said, “I’m going to beat your daughter in a game of Just Dance.”

“Do you guys do this often?” Dad chuckled.

I nodded, “And last time Dylan won, but that’s not going to happen this time.”