Chapter 10: In Real LIfe

Chapter 10: In Real Life

"Why would Ben be after you?" I asked Alicia. 

We all finally got calmed down a little and sat down in the living room. I was sitting on Dylan's lap and he was holding me close. He was really scared. Even more than I was.

"Because something happened while I was gone."

"Like what?" I asked, "I won't be mad, I swear, just tell us."

"Okay" she said, "it goes like this:

We had our falling out then I went to Ben for help. This was before you had your falling out with him. I didn't know who else to go to. The gang that caused me all that trouble before found me and Ben was the only person I could think of. I asked Ben for help, and he let me hide in his house. Less than a week later the gang showed up and Ben actually got involved with them. He told them where I was and I ran again. I ran as fast as I could. I don't know what happened after that, but 3 weeks laters I see in the paper that that gang was killed...by Ben! He went to jail and he blames me. When he got out I received a message. I don't know how he found me, but he did. He blames me for him going to jail because I was involved with the gang first. He said that he had to kill them otherwise he would be stuck with them forever like I was. He's trying to find me. Kayla what do I do?"

"Aren't the police out there looking for him? Why would this just be news now?" 

"Because the press made a connection" Dylan said, "the pictures of you and Alicia and Ben's name were put out there and everyone made the connection. They know that you are all connected and now the rest of the world does too, including Ben."

"This is bad..."

The first thing I did was call the police and they showed up in no time...lots of them. I even recognized one of them.

"Hey" I interrupted, "you're the cop that was there the day at the bridge."

"He is" Dylan agreed.

"That's me" the police officer smiled, "sorry to meet you again under these circumstances."

"Don't be" I said, "I'm glad you're here to help."

"Okay" he said, "we have your house surrounded and we will keep watch. If Ben shows up, we will know about it. There's no way he could get through us."

"Thank you" I said, "we really appreciate it."

"Don't worry about it" he said, "we're here to help."

The police officers left and surrounded the house for the night. Dylan, Alicia, and I were all on the couch watching a movie when I made a connection. I picked up the remote and paused the movie.

"Kay?" Dylan said, "what's wrong?"

"Alicia, the gang's the reason he got bad again wasn't it? That's the reason for my fallout with him?"

"Probably" she said, "he didn't talk about it. What actually happened?"

"He became abusive again. Mom, dad and I all said that we wouldn't press charges if he just left. He kept saying that I was just depressed, that I was never going to get better. He would slap me across the faces and push me into things. For a while there I was in an out of the hospital. Dylan got so worried that I started staying over at his house for long amounts of time because Ben was visiting every day. He fought and fought not to go, but when mom started dialing 911 he lost it and just stormed out. We never heard from him since."

"He won't go after you then" Alicia said, "Ben really is scared of the cops. He doesn't want to get caught. I'm the only one he's after and the only one he cares about getting revenge on. He's very specific that way."