Chapter 37 | There's Only So Much Beauty I Can Stand.

Mira

"Oh, I know," Dylan smiled. "But trust me, you can."

I didn't know what to say. I was panicking.

The mere thought of dancing with Dylan's hands wrapped around my waist, so close that even the air we shared was one, scared the hell out of me. I had watched enough of the Dirty Dancing movies to figure out the level of intimacy that such a dance needed.

I stared at our linked hands as Dylan led me towards the dance floor. The half-drunk, dancing, crowd parted wherever he walked, the girls flipping back their hair and adjusting their dresses and the boys or rather men, throwing us disoriented looks as if they weren't exactly sure how they had wound up here.

In comparison to the number of middle-aged and old-trying to pretend to be middle-aged-businessmen and media personalities present at the party, only a few middle-aged or old women graced the party with their presence. Most of the men had younger, beautifully made up women upon their arms who were giggling at just about everything and had probably downed more than a couple drinks in one go.

I looked up to meet Dylan's gaze who had now come to a halt in the center of the dance floor. He was looking down at me with a strange expression.

"Stop overthinking." He said finally and a groan escaped my lips.

"Can we please just sit?" I tried to drag him towards the tables. Suddenly, the tacky purple and yellow decoration was seeming a whole lot appealing than it had seemed earlier.

"No," Dylan replied, a small smile tugging at his lips. I felt his posture change and realized that he had already twirled me around a couple times.

"Dylan, please. I'm really bad at this-"

I felt his hand slide downwards, caressing my bare arm. I shivered.

"You've got goosebumps." He observed as he pulled me into a light embrace. We had been dancing for quite a while now, with Dylan guiding me as I awkwardly stumbled around, trying not to step on Dylan's feet. The dance, apparently, required a lot of subtle legwork which was extremely difficult for me considering that the only dance I really knew was the one we Indians did at weddings and it came nowhere close to actual dancing.

"Oh," I pulled back slightly. "It must be the air conditioning. I usually prefer to cover my arms at such parties because these halls get icy cold at the end of the night."

"That's alright," Dylan said. "We could go outside if you want."

"Yes, uh, but can we not just go back?" I asked but then, common courtesy intervened. "I know that this is a business party and its okay if we can't leave yet," I explained, gesturing with my hands. "I just wanted-"

"Nope, it is okay. I think we should call it a night." Dylan smiled and then proceeded to unbutton his tux. "There's only so much beauty I can stand. And for this long too." He smirked before placing his tuxedo jacket on my shoulders.

Instantly, warmth flooded my veins and I tried hard not to act like a creep and go about sniffing his delicious scent that seemed to surround me. Pulling the jacket tightly around me, I linked my arm with Dylan's again who stood with a satisfied smirk on his face.

___________________

"So, what was the deal with Jayden today?"

Next to me, Dylan shifted in his seat. "Nothing. He was just being his usual asshole self." He replied grumpily, not looking at me.

I gave him a look. "Was what you said right now, self-explanatory?" I mocked. "Because, I am sorry, I didn't get a thing."

"Ninã," Dylan dragged out my nick-name. "Can we please not talk about that douchebag? He's an ass."

I bit my lip. Jayden was one of Dylan's best friends and the two barely ever fought. I couldn't imagine them fighting or arguing over something trivial. When friendships ran so old, small issues usually tended to be ignored. It had to be something big.

"Not talking is not a solution, Dylan." I sighed. "Look, I know I am stepping out of line interfering with your personal life and I know that whatever the issue between the two of you, it has nothing to do with me, but I also know that Jayden and the guys are like brothers to you. You've been together for so long and I just don't want that to be ruined."

"How can you be so sure that it's not about you?"

"Is it?"

________

Dylan

Before I could actually answer Mira, her phone rang and I felt a mixed rush of emotions surge through me. I wanted to tell her about Jayden and how he was so taken with her and how that obviously did not sit well with me but all that came to mind was 'Phew, saved by the phone.'

Mira looked distressed but she brightened up a little to see whatever name had flashed across the screen.

"Hello," She quickly accepted the call and greeted whoever was on the other end. It wasn't her mother judging from the way she wasn't fidgeting. I was almost envious of the person she was talking to. She never-and trust me when I say that-never, smiled like that for me.

"Oh my god, Manav, I'm so glad you called," Mira exclaimed.

I scowled. I already hated this Manav guy.

"Tum America main ho?" (Are you in America?) I rolled my eyes. Of course, she had to start speaking her mother tongue.

I glanced at her practically bursting with happiness and almost smiled.

"No way," My ears perked up at the English. "Kab?" (When?)

"You can't be serious. Meri taang kheench rahe ho na? I'm telling you, if it's another one of your stupid pranks, you're dead. Early April's fool ban ne ka mera bilkul koi irada nahin hai." (You're pulling my leg, aren't you? I have absolutely no intention of becoming an early April's fool.)

I scowled. It wasn't only me who delighted in messing around with her. Apparently, there was someone else. Someone else she was clearly way more fond of.

I really needed to get my sh*t together.

"Okay, bye. I'll look forward to it." Mira finished with a wide grin on her red lips, a happy flush on her cheeks, her eyes shining with excitement and I had the oddest urge to punch that Manav across his stupid face, whatever he looked like. What was the deal with him, anyway? Who the hell did he think he was to barge in on our life like that?

Why was he so hell-bent on annoying the shit out of me?

Scowling, I gave Mira a sidelong glance. She was smiling, blissfully unaware of my jealousy.

Yes, I was jealous. I realized with a jolt.

And, I also knew why.

Because it was one thing trying to protect your girl from unwanted advances and totally another, trying to protect her from a man you knew she liked, probably even more than she liked you.

______________________________________________________________________________

Well, well. Dylan is jealous and there seems to be another man.

Anyway, I hope you liked the 36th chapter.

Lots of love😘