17

Mira

To say that I was shocked at the effect Dylan had on me, would be the greatest understatement.

The moment his hands touched me I was on edge. It took all the willpower I had to not run.

I was terrified; not because I was afraid of him or otherwise doubted his intentions, but because after what happened, a tiny little doubt was slowly beginning to crop up inside my mind. Maybe...just maybe, this was not going to end well for either of us.

I had a lot on stake. One stupid mistake could ruin my whole life and endanger all that I'd ever wanted, including my career and my goals. I would never be able to forgive myself if anything I did caused all my efforts to be in vain—futile, destroyed beyond remedy.

My heart clenched as I realised just how much I could lose, and I was certainly not ready to take such a huge risk.

Was an immature, puppy love—if this ridiculous feeling could even be termed as love—really worth everything that I was striving to achieve in life?

It was an awfully tricky situation, one where I could easily equate accepting Dylan's advances to willingly throwing away my own life. The only thing that I could do right now was to keep my distance from that devil of a boy.

Couldn't be that hard, could it?

''Oh My God, Mira. What is it that you're thinking again?" An exaggerated whine of frustration pulled me out of my mid-day reverie as I blinked at a straight-faced Dylan. "You haven't said a word for the last fifteen minutes!" He emphasised, raising his brows.

''I haven't?'' I cleared my throat.

"Nope." He shook his head.

"Well, that shouldn't really be a problem should it then?" I propped my chin up on the back of my palm, nonchalantly flicking a page of the book lying in front of me. "I doubt anything I'd say would have interested you much." 

A challenging arch of eyebrows. "Are you saying that your thoughts are beyond my understanding?"

"You can assume what you want."

''So?'' I tried steering the flow of conversation in some other direction.

''So.'' Dylan quirked an eyebrow looking at me cautiously as the smallest of his million dollar smirks played upon his lips.

I mean stupid smirks.

OH BOY, I WAS SUCH A BIG LIAR.

''What are we doing now?'' I asked casually.

''I don't know. Whatever you want?'' Dylan shrugged,his gaze never faltering. ''You want some lucky charms?'' He asked suddenly.

''Nah, I am a vegetarian, remember? But you go ahead.'' I smiled.

''Oh yeah, I forgot. Sorry. And no, I don't want any.'' He said sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck.

''It's no problem and you don't need to feel sorry.'' I said truthfully.

''No really,it was stupid of me to forget.''

''Nope, it was not. As of stupid? That you definitely are.'' I giggled.

''Hey, take that back.'' Dylan faked annoyance and I laughed.

''Nuh uh, never.'' I smiled mischievously. I saw Dylan's eyes darken with annoyance and somehow I knew what was coming.

''Ok whatever, I take that back.'' I said suddenly remembering my promise to keep my distance.

SO MUCH FOR PROMISES, HUH?