Chapter 16 | Just Trying To Figure Her Out

Mira

"Dylan, don't think that my consent earlier is still applicable." I commented, shielding my face from the bright early afternoon sun. "I will not consent to be taken to any carnival, and god forbid, if you are taking me to a party-" I sputtered momentarily, failing to come up with a threat that would sound formidable enough to make Dylan rethink his actions, whatever he was planning.

"You can threaten me all you like, Mira. Don't pretend like you aren't trying to hide your fear of disapproval by using this lame excuse of consent." Dylan's tone was annoyingly self-assured as he continued, knowing he'd hit a nerve. "Nothing can land you in trouble when I'm with you. If something does go wrong-the chances of which happening by the way, are extremely slim- you can simply put the blame on me. I promise I won't ditch you."

What annoyed me more was that I trusted him. Trouble followed Dylan wherever he went and I wasn't unaware of number of people I'd be disappointing if something untoward were to happen while I was out with him alone, and yet, he'd said he wouldn't ditch me and those simple words were somehow enough for something inside me to not altogether reject the idea of having fun for once. Without any guilt.

"I don't trust your hollow words." I insisted half-heartedly. "You're a troublemaker and I don't want to be out with you when we haven't even told Rebecca that you skipped your classes. Not to mention, I don't even know where you're taking me."

The words felt hollow and meaningless on my lips because despite all my protests, I still wanted to experience whatever Dylan had in his mind...as long as he didn't take me to a party. Getting drunk on cheap beer as sweaty bodies gyrated to loud, obscene music all around me was not my scene.

"Why do you always give such long speeches while on the bike, princess?" I heard him grumble, slightly annoyed. "I can hardly make out what you're saying and then you say so many things that I get confused as to where you're getting at."

A small, fond smile crept on my face as I heard the faintest trace of playfulness in his voice.

"Stop it," I giggled, hitting his shoulder lightly. "This act of confusion is going to get you nowhere." I regretted making it obvious that he'd made me smile. I wasn't supposed to be giggling like a little love struck girl right now. "Just tell me where we are going and maybe I'll consider not telling on you to Rebecca."

"Fucking hell, you are such a tattletale, Mira." He sounded incredulous as I coughed.

"Hey, no swearing." I frowned. "And I'm not a tattletale. I'm just looking out for myself."

When he didn't reply, I huffed and rolled my eyes. Who even was he to try to make me want to change the way I lived, to change the way I looked at the people around me and the way I looked at myself?

Dylan was really annoying sometimes.

Pouting to myself, I pointedly stared at the surroundings trying desperately to shove any thought revolving around the beautiful boy in front of me, out of my brain but the fact that I was yet again sitting with my arms resting lightly against his waist didn't help my resolve at all. He was making me question every belief that I had.

I always thought I couldn't be friendly with boys but look where that had gotten me. I was literally perched on the back of a racing motorbike, my body smashed against Dylan's and my hair flying like in some 70s retro movie where the hero and the heroine disappeared into the sunset on their motorbike as the audience cried tears of happiness.

His breath was calm and even beneath me and it made me question my feelings towards him yet again. Just thinking about what I really felt seemed to give me a headache. I wasn't ready to acknowledge the importance he was slowly starting to gain in my life, without even wanting to.