28

Mira

After telling Dylan that I would be going to the party after all, I felt as if a great burden had been lifted off my shoulders only to be replaced with an even more bigger burden.

I was a nervous wreck. There were still a couple of days left in the party yet I was here losing control completely. I just could not get my mind around the fact that I had actually agreed to go to the party.

The idea of me going to a party full of drunk teenagers, alcohol and sweaty half-naked people was horrendous to me till just a couple of hours before.

And now I myself was falling headfirst into this trap called 'Teenage Blunders'.

Amazing, eh?

Not so much.

Shaking my head I went back to my room, but I could not concentrate on my books anymore. This was strange. My life was turning stranger by the second.

Who would have thought that I, Mira Anand, the walking rulebook of school, the overachiever, the goody two shoes would do such a stupid thing as signing her own death warrant?

I bet no one could have ever imagined it.

Even I couldn't.

Sighing deeply, I set my thick volume on the table and walked to my bed before falling onto it face first.

When I woke up the room was dark and curtains were not drawn. It clearly meant that I had slept through the whole evening. An evening that I could have spent writing my essay, revising formulae, rewriting equations, learning expressions or researching my thesis.

God, I was such a lazy bones, I could put the grasshopper from the story 'The Grasshopper And The Ant' to shame.

I yawned as I stretched and dragged myself off my bed before bumping into my bedside table.

My mouth opened in a silent scream but no sound came out. A tear slipped onto my cheek as my eyes burned and my whole body froze from the impact of it.

But the pain subsided as quickly as it had come although I was afraid I might have sprained my ankle or even worse, damaged my nail. I could already feel something wet and warm oozing out from my toe.

I quickly turned on the light before sitting on the bed to examine my foot.

I pulled up my foot only to find blood flowing freely from where the nail had been dislodged a bit. I dared not touch it.

The blood flow wasn't much but I had learnt enough human biology to know better than to touch an open wound with my hands which probably had millions and billions of microscopic bacteria on them, although they weren't visible to the naked eye.

And you need a microscope-

What you need right now is an antiseptic. My brain reprimanded.

Oh right. Antiseptic.

Nodding inwardly, I opened a drawer to reveal a bottle of antiseptic lying amongst the clutter that usually adorned my bedside table.

Things like blank sheets of paper, a couple of novels issued from the public library, a couple of research papers issued from the University library, empty refills, half-a-dozen chocolates, newspaper cuttings and many other important as well as unimportant things.

Guess, I wasn't as organised as I thought afterall.

I hissed in pain, my tongue between my teeth, as I dabbed some antiseptic onto the wound. When it was all cleaned up I wrapped a band-aid on it and discarding the used cotton in the dustbin I headed towards the bathroom to freshen up a bit.