26 (I)

Dylan

It was a nice morning. I saw the leaves sway gently with the light breeze. The sun was bright and the sky clear. It wasn't too cold neither too hot. A perfect day for a beach holiday. Yesterday Ash had called to ask me whether Mira would be in. We had been planning for a while now but the weather never seemed to be perfect, so we just put it off again and again but today the weather was perfect and the mood was set.

I had been entrusted with the difficult task of somehow persuading Mira, the biggest study freak ever to not study for one day and actually enjoy life. She really had me stumped when she asked me to study because I was bored. No wonder she was never spotted at any of the parties or university social events because she would probably be hiding in her room, locked away from the world as she studied her head off while other teens her age twerked their asses off in some random person's party to which they most probably weren't even invited in the first place.

I already knew she wouldn't own a bikini. I mean the chica hardly showed any skin except her face, hands and feet which was very very unusual in today's world but that demureness was one of the things that drew me to her, that I inexorably found myself falling for her smile, her laugh.

Yesterday at the mall, I knew she wasn't very happy with me buying her stuff and I could see there was so much that she wanted to say but I was the owner of my money. I decided whether or not to spend it. Although I knew that all the time she was itching to run away and somehow stop me from doing what I did, and that it was her extreme sense of self-respect and dignity forcing her not to accept the gift; I still couldn't help but wonder that did my wish matter at all?

Did it matter at all that I myself wanted to spend on her?

I did not know for sure, but then again had she not respected my will she would not have accepted the curtsy without a word. Acting as if nothing was wrong, as if it was normal for her to accept gifts from me, while on the inside she faced a great emotional turmoil. And I knew she was new to all this. Inexperienced and naive she was going through it all only with the help of sheer grit and determination and probably with a promise to herself that she would not give up however new, hostile and unfamiliar this country and its environment was.

I admired that about her. The raw courage she possessed and that stubborn attitude to keep going.

Never thought this would happen but I guess I was admitting that I admired her.

Clutching the black paper bag that had pink and golden embellishments in my hand, I walked through the hallway, running a hand through my hair. As I neared her door, I hesitated. It was nine in the morning and there was every chance that she might still be asleep unaware of my intrusion. And I didn't like the idea of walking in on her in her sleep too. Not that I minded walking in upon her as she slept. Afterall I meant no harm but it kinda seemed like an invasion of privacy to me and that was something I tended to steer clear of.

My mom had taught me better than to walk in on someone sleeping, especially if the someone was a girl. And this was Mira we were talking about. And I swear I had absolutely no intention of disturbing her but I knew I had to wake her up. The boys were due to be here in thirty minutes and I had to wake Mira up, convince her to tag along which by the way was nearly impossible and also persuade her to wear the bikini that I had bought especially for her.

And hey, before your dirty mind comes up with any filthy ideas. The bikini was meant as a bathing suit for her to wear on the beach, so calm the freak down.

I paused with my hand on the doorknob as an internal battle raged inside my head.

What if she didn't like me entering her room without her knowledge when she was asleep and was still in her pyjamas?