Chapter 33 | A Lot More To A Relationship

Mira

"We are staying here for the weekend." Dylan said in a tone that dripped with finality. "It's not like we have another choice." He shrugged. "The weather is clearly not going to clear up anytime soon and there's no point stepping out in this terrible blizzard."

"No, I'm not staying here with you, alone." I said getting panicky. What would Rebecca think?

A girl.

With a guy. And not just any guy. Her son.

Alone.

These were the makings of a disaster.

"We should have left yesterday night." I glared at Dylan resentfully. "But why would you ever listen to me?"

"You're overreacting, niña." He muttered. "Just take a look outside, would you? If we go out, we won't even be able to come back here alive, let alone drive all the way back to the estate." He gestured towards the window wearily. It seemed as if I was tiring him out with my whining, so instead of pushing my luck, I took the moment to actually glance at the window which had turned frosty due to extremely low temperature outside.
The sound of the loud rattling of window panes cut through the awkward silence in the room as Dylan took in the mood too and decided to take a seat not too far from where I was standing.

I felt sorry for snapping at him but my ego wouldn't let me apologise.

Fisting my hands, I marched towards the window and glared outside pointedly, my ears red from embarrassment as I felt Dylan's analytical gaze on my back.

It wasn't his fault that the weather had worsened...but nor was it mine and I didn't want to bear the consequences of a mistake I hadn't made.

I couldn't understand how the weather had changed so drastically. Just the previous night, it was all warm and breezy. The air was crisp and it was the perfect weather to have a barbecue party or take a long walk alongside the beach and the next thing I was being woken up by the sound of the rattling windows as snowballs were hurled against the frosted glass.

Sighing, I ran my hand in a sweeping motion across the glass in a wide arc, clearing the mist.
Pressing my forehead to the cool surface, I squinted through the glass only to be faced with a vast expanse of white.

The bushes surrounding the porch, the car parked in the driveway, the trees, the gates and the road beyond were all covered in a never-ending blanket of white, as if no other colour existed.

The sky was grey, not the usual, lovely blue colour and the scene lacked any lustre which made my heart drop.

As beautiful and poetic as snow was, the scene I saw didn't quite seem to match up to the impression I had of it.

I had never seen snow before and sure enough I had some of my own delusions about it. All of which were slowly being destroyed right now. There was hardly anything romantic or peaceful about the frozen wind blowing outside.

But on second thoughts, I think that the major cause of my dislike were less the raging winds and more the boy that had now come to stand beside me. His warm breath fanned my neck as he leaned over me, craning his neck to see outside and then, having proved his point, returned to where he was sitting and resumed looking at me as I stared outside, unable to say a word.