Chapter 18 *Memory Lane

:: Elizabeth ::

Once I'd calmed down again, I'd just sat on Max's lap, breathing in his scent and remembering all the memories we had together.

"Hey," Max whispered suddenly, sounding suprised. "This is where we used to come as kids - the old sandbox and playground."

I nodded against his chest, not being able to form words easily.

"Yeah." I got out after a moment, my voice weak and thin. "You know, I feel so empty without..."

His arms tightened around me. "I know. I know, baby,"

Wait. Baby! He called me baby!

Inside I was squealing like a little kid who got her favourite cookies. I smiled weakly at the memory I had from the hospital.

"Come on then," I pulled Max's wrist out of the car, towards the back of the building where the playground and sandbox was.

:: Max ::

We both rounded the corner, and everything fell into place like a puzzle.

From the look on Liz's face, I guessed she was having the same flashback as me.

~ FLASHBACK ~

"Hey! Max no fair!" A ten year old Elizabeth pouted at me, and I stuck my tongue out at her playfully.

"Can't han-handle losing?" I taunted, not quite able to pronounce 'handle' yet.

She threw a handful of sand at my shoe. "You mean."

I shrugged. "You love me really,"

She blushed, giggling.

"Are you two still in the old sandbox?" My mum asked playfully, bending down to our level.

I nodded enthusiastically at the same time as Liz said "Yay!" clapping her hands together.

I grinned toothily at her.

"I keep winning!" Liz cheered after she built another sandcastle.

I'd always let her win. She was more than a friend to me - but more of someone who I could see growing up with and driving her to school everyday.

I think I loved her.

"I love you, Liz," I told her truthfully.

"I love you too, Max. We're gunna stay best friends forever," She smiled at me.

Not exactly what I wanted, but still better than nothing.

I will always love you, and no-one else.

~ END FLASHBACK ~

:: Elizabeth ::

"You are my past, present and future." Max mumbled.

"Hmm?" I mumbled back.

:: Max ::

I wrapped my arms around her waist from behind, kissing her temple.

"You alright again?" I asked, leaning my cheek against her temple.

"Yeah," She whispered throatily, sniffing.

"Why is life so cruel?" She whimpered in a whisper, her hands automatically folding around her stomach. "If it weren't for me, I'd be in my bed having random cravings-"

"Elizabeth," I moved in front of her, holding her head in my hands. "It was not your fault. Trust me."

Her brown doe eyes looked up at me, as a lone tear fell down her cheek; and I wiped my thumbs across her eyelashes.