Friday

"You like him," Namjoon's mom proclaimed as he sat down for breakfast. School had the day off, and his mom didn't work until noon. So what better opportunity to discuss her son's crush than at that moment?

Namjoon stiffened. He had a few options. He could play dumb, like he had no idea who she was talking about. He could change the subject, or act on the defense right away. But she was still his mom...how bad could it be?

She had arrived home early yesterday evening to discover Jin sprawled out on her couch eating his homemade cookies. This, of course, was the boy Namjoon had been spending so much time with. He was handsome, polite, friendly, baked amazing cookies, and, most importantly, seemed to make her son happy. Kim Seokjin had passed her test. 

It was her duty to make sure that this boy ended up her son-in-law one day. If her job called for matchmaker, than she'd be the best damn matchmaker the world had ever known.

And yes, seeing Namjoon with a boyfriend would be a little bittersweet. He's growing up far too quick for her. But she shoved the thought aside. Her son and his happiness was most important.

"You mean Jin?"

"Yes, I mean Seokjin. He seems lovely, and you like him a lot, so just go for it." She pressed.

"Mom, I don't want to rush things."

"You've known him for a bit, and you spend so much time together. I'm not telling you to go and marry him right now, but I see nothing wrong with dating. I've seen the way you two look at each other."

Namjoon felt his face grow hot. Her being wrong would be one thing, but she was absolutely right. He knew he had crush on Jin for a bit, but as he had decided, he wasn't going to make a move, despite the fact that, well, he wanted to. A lot.

The possibility of Jin not liking him was there, as well. Imagine if he told him how he felt, and Jin laughed at him? Or worse, treated him coldly after that? Losing Jin's friendship would be worse than not getting to date him.

Calm down. That's not like him. He'd never do that...

"I don't know," He stared intently at his socks. "Maybe I'll do it, but not today."

"So you like him?"

"Mom."

She brushed her long hair behind her ear and laughed. "Sorry, I'm just invested."

"I do, okay? There."

"Then I'm happy for you. I mean, I wouldn't be upset if you didn't, but-ah, never mind. You do whatever feels right. It's your life, so if you want to ask him out, go for it."

"Thanks. I just might do it."

He had said that to drop the subject, but the more Namjoon thought about it, the more he wanted to do it. It's not like there'd be any huge declaration of love. He could just say "Hey, Jin, I like you a lot, so do you want to go out with me?" and he'd get a yes or no, and that would be the end of it.

But he might say no!

Namjoon retreated back to his room and scribbled in his notebook to calm his nerves.

He wrote down a few notes for his story, imagining Jin (as he unconsciously had been since day one of the story). He took a few deep breaths and listened to music through his earbuds (Champion, by Fall Out Boy got him pumped up). 

Honestly, he probably wouldn't have had the confidence to even consider taking the first step if it wasn't for Jin. He was a confidence booster if he ever met one. 

That had to mean something.

It was decided.

Tomorrow, he would ask Jin out.