Chapter 70 - Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again (The Angels)

Start from the beginning

"Thank you for the offer but I don't mind. She's no trouble at all and I can do two things at once."

"Yes. You seem to be able to do a lot of things, don't you? Killing people and walkers. Going out on runs....hunting food."

"I'm surprised he hasn't left yet....Daryl I mean. He always said he's going to one day. Soon as someone else comes along. Someone who can help out the way he does."

"Now that you're here? He can leave. Go look for his brother just like he always wanted to."

I'm wondering where she's heading with all this. But I don't want her to get the impression I care one jot about anything she has to say.

So I continue sketching and crooning at Judith while ignoring Beth as much as possible. Some people just can't take a subtle hint, huh?

"I'll be sad of course, when he does go. Will miss him terribly. We always have so much....fun....together."

She put a sly emphasis on 'fun'. And I tried to hold down my incredulous sniggers at her rampant imagination.

"It's a bit harder nowadays of course. Not so much privacy anymore to make each other happy. But when we've got the time to get together....well...."

"Hey, don't you roll your eyes at me! One day? You'll see the truth for yourself, Natalie Moriarty. Just you wait...."

🤬

"Dare you to call me that again....you little maggot"  I whispered the threat only she didn't hear me.

Before Beth can finish her little fantasy I hear the sound of a car. Then the gate opening.

They're home!

*

I race outside trying hard not to jiggle Judith awake.

Rick is already out of the Cherokee....talking to Carol. She seems to be upset? He's patting her shoulder as if to comfort her.

He spotted me scurrying towards them. Gently took Judith's sling and handed her over to Carl. Then turned to me....and I saw his face.

I peered down at the car....no Oscar....NO DARYL....

"Daryl is Ok. He's Ok, Nate....he's safe. I swear"  Rick rushed the words out before my panic could set in, holding my hands tight in his.

"But we lost Oscar"  He continued sorrowfully and I felt my tears gather force.

Oscar....he and Axel both became part of us. It'd been so easy despite all the drama at the beginning. He was such a good man. Oscar became family.

And now my tree has shed yet another big, beautiful apple  🥺

"Did Daryl stay to bring him home....?"  Rick wouldn't let me finish.

"His brother....Daryl's brother was at Woodbury. He was one of the Governor's men, hurt Glenn and Maggie."

"But he helped us escape, saved Daryl from getting slaughtered. Still, I couldn't let him come back here....let him be around us. Not after nearly killing Glenn."

"Daryl wouldn't come back without him. So....he ummmm....he left."

I was having trouble understanding.

"Left? To go where? He's coming back, isn't he? Once he has his brother safe?"

"No sweetheart, Daryl's not coming back. He....he's left us. Gone with his brother for good. His brother....his blood. He said you'd understand."

I can't bear the looks from him, Carol and the others. It's not pity, just desperate sorrow. For them and me.

Rick tried to take me in his arms but I wouldn't let him.

Pulling away without another word I stumbled down to Glenn, gave him a gentle hug. He's so badly beaten it's a wonder he's still conscious.

Maggie looks as if....Oh Jeezus please....NO!

She just shook her head slightly at me. Yet whatever has  been done? Looks like it almost broke her. We held each other for a long time, trying to give one another whatever comfort we can.

"I love you, Sis"  I whispered in relief.

We almost lost both of them, her and Glenn. But they came home.

Daryl didn't.

He told Rick I'd understand. And I do....I understand perfectly.

I settled Michonne into a cell. Getting her more clean clothes and seeing to her injuries. Knew I was right to trust her....trust my instincts about her.

Kept busy, taking care of my family. And by midnight the cell block became quiet.

*

After I entered our tower and threw on a jumper, I went to sit outside on the walkway. Guns at the ready. Rick said there'll be retaliation, maybe not tonight but soon.

We have to be prepared.

So I watched.

Mourned and shed more tears for Oscar....

And I waited.

But not for Daryl.

I asked him to not get lost and he didn't....he just isn't coming back. Even though he promised.

I understand perfectly well, I truly do.

His brother is blood....I'm just water.

Says it all doesn't it?