Chapter 31

"Nor would I expect the Guerrera wolves to back down," I heard Nik mutter quietly to Elijah as they sat in the next room. Leaving Hayley with the baby, I moved over, coming to a stop next to Nik. "Hayley and the child are wolf royalty and as such, they are a threat to Francesca's claim to leadership."

"They will never be safe," I finished.

"What was it you said to me earlier, that I've made enemies every day of my miserable life? Well, the worst of them are within these borders, brother. I have brought into the world a weapon they can use against me."

"Then we will arm ourselves," Elijah declared. "Brother, we've fought every adversary in this town and we have won and we'll fight them again, no matter who they are. We will make this home a fortress."

I shook my head, "no. I will not have her live her life as a prisoner."

"Then we leave here together, all of us," Elijah proposed, looking from me to Nik.

"Wherever we go, however far we run, those who seek power and revenge will hunt us, they will hunt her." Elijah sighed at Nik's words, knowing they were true. "She has inherited all our enemies with none of our defenses."

"So whether we stay or we leave, we condemn her," Elijah simplified.

"There is a third option," Hayley spoke and I turned, seeing her standing in the doorway, baby in her arms. "I grew up in a war zone. My parents thought they could protect me, but in the end, they were slaughtered and I spent my childhood alone and unloved." Tears filled her eyes as she looked down at her daughter. "I made a promise to my baby and to myself that she would not grow up like I did, that she would grow up safe and loved, and yet here she is on her first day in this world with a grandmother that is bent on sacrificing her and a mother that has to drink the blood of her own baby to survive transitioning into a hybrid, and I'm the one that loves her the most." My eyes continued to fill with tears as I wiped one from my cheek, my heart breaking for my friend. "I think the only thing to do is send her away while we stay behind and clean up the mess that we've made." My eyes widened at her suggestion and I looked over at Nik and Elijah.

"No, this is insane," Elijah commented, standing from his seat. "You heard Genevieve. So long as she lives, that baby will be hunted."

Nik stood from his seat, "not if no one knows she lives."

"What is it that you intend to do, brother?"

"Whatever it takes to save our family."

***

Standing in front of Nik's car, I watched him as he held his daughter in his arms. The look on his face, the gentle nature he had with her, it warmed my heart and the longing I had for us to have our own children grew. Headlights appeared and I turned my head, seeing a small car come to a stop ahead of us. Rebekah got out, meeting Nik in between the two cars as I grabbed the bag from the hood of Nik's and put it in the backseat of Rebekah's. Shutting the door, I leaned against it, watching the siblings. "Hello, sister," Nik smiled at her.

"She looks like her mother," Rebekah stated, looking down at the child in his arms. "Maybe there is a God after all."

"Well, she has a hint of the devil in her eyes. That's all me," Nik smirked and I chuckled slightly. "Ellie will go with you to cast the cloaking spell. No one can ever find her."

"I know what to do, Nik. Perhaps we'll get a white fence. I think that would be lovely." I smiled at the thought of having a big house with a white fence and children running through the halls.

Nik looked down at the sleeping child, "this city would have seen you dead, but I will have it your home and every soul who wishes you harm will be struck down. Just as sure as my blood runs in your veins, you will return to me." Nik gently pressed his lips to his daughter's forehead before handing her over to Rebekah. "In spite of our difference, Rebekah, there is no one I would trust more with my daughter's life. Be happy, sister."

"She will be happy, Nik, I promise," Rebekah replied, wiping a tear from her face and I looked away, doing the same. "What's her name?"

"Hope." I looked back over at them, smiling at the name. "Her name is Hope." I moved away from Rebekah's car as she slowly turned, walking in my direction. Taking her place in front of Nik, I reached up, wiping a tear from his cheek.

"She will be safe. Rebekah and I will make sure of it," I stated softly, lacing my fingers with his as his eyes met mine.

"I know." Leaning down, he gently pressed his lips to mine. "Please take care of her, make sure she's happy," he whispered, pulling away.

"With her auntie and her godmother, how could she not be?" I joked and he chuckled. "She'll be happy, Nik. The happiest child there ever was." He pressed a kiss to my forehead then took a step back, releasing my hand. I turned, going over to Rebekah, who handed me the baby before getting into the car. Going around to the other side, I sent Nik a small smile and got in. As soon as we were safe and secure in the car, Rebekah drove off. 

SURPRISE!! I thought I would give you guys the last chapter of Book 4 today. On Friday, you'll get the prologue and first chapter of Book 5 :)

I hope you have all enjoyed this book. Bloopers will be next.

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2017/2018.