Chapter 20

"Can I ask you something?" Hayley asked as we hung up different pieces of clothing on a clothes line.

"Sure," I muttered, bending down to pick up a shirt.

"Earlier, on the way here, Rebekah mentioned something about you being jealous of me." I tensed slightly, my hands pausing for a moment on the pin I was holding.

"Did she now?"

"Yeah, but she wouldn't go into detail about it, so I thought I'd ask you," she hinted and I sighed, turning to look at her.

"Look, Hayley, you are one of my best friends and I would never want anything to ruin that. What I'm feeling is not a big deal."

"What are you feeling?" She persisted.

"Happiness, but also jealousy. I'm happy to have you in my life and I'm happy that Nik is happy about his impending fatherhood, but that's also the reason I'm jealous," I revealed.

"I don't understand."

"This child you carry inside of you is a wonderful thing. But it was supposed to be mine. I was supposed to be the mother to Nik's first born. Instead, you got that honor while I sit on the sidelines, watching his child grow inside another woman," I admitted and I could see the guilt etched onto her face.

"I had no idea you felt that way," she muttered, looking down at the jeans in her hand.

"Don't worry about it too much. I'm sure it'll go away. Besides, I'd rather not let something so insignificant ruin our friendship." She was quiet as she stared at me. "I'm gonna go see how Rebekah's doing with the food. Will you be okay here?" She nodded her head and I turned, going back to the house.

***

A few hours later, the full moon had risen and the party was in full swing. There had to be more than fifty werewolves partying in the backyard. Even Rebekah was having fun, dancing with one of the wolves. I, on the other hand, wasn't having as much fun as I thought I would. My mind was still stuck on the conversation I had earlier with Hayley. I decided to take a walk through the woods to get some air and clear my head. I knew I was getting further from the house because the more I walked, the quieter the music got. Picking up a rock, I twirled it in between my fingers before throwing it off into the darkness. It hit a few trees, brushing past leaves before finally coming to a stop. All of a sudden, I heard a low growl coming from my left and I froze, too scared to move. Slowly glancing over, I saw two pairs of eyes glowing. More growls were heard and I looked around, seeing more glowing eyes pop up. "Son of a bitch," I muttered to myself. The last time I took on a group of werewolves was when I was still a vampire and even then, I took a pretty good beating. How would I fair now that I'm human? One of the wolves lunged at me and I shot my hand up, using a spell to throw it backwards into a tree. It yelped at the impact, but remained still as it fell to the ground. As they all started to come after me, I threw out as many spells I could think of. Snapping one's neck, making one choke on its own heart, practically making another one explode. By the time they were all dead, I was exhausted and on the verge of passing out. Hearing leaves crunch, I whipped around, only to find Elijah coming towards me. I breathed a sigh of relief, my body relaxing. "The wolves, they came out of nowhere," I reported, slowly moving towards him.

"Are you hurt?" He asked, reaching me and checking me for wounds.

I shook my head, feeling dizzy, "Elijah, I don't feel so good." The world around me started to spin, the ground becoming closer as I fell. I barely felt Elijah's arms wrap around me before I passed out.

Oh my god, you guys, I almost forgot to update! I thought about it this morning, then completely forgot about it for the rest of the day until, like, 20 minutes ago. Good thing I remembered.

Anyway, hope you enjoy.

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2017/2018.