Chapter 10

Walking up to St. Anne's church, I could see Elijah and Nik hovering outside, waiting for me. I had gotten a text from Elijah asking to meet them here. "I was wondering when you'd show up," Nik commented, a slightly annoyed expression on his face. I raised a brow at him.

"Sorry. It takes longer to get places when you're human," I retorted, moving my eyes to the older Original. "Why am I here?"

"I have something for Davina and I need you to help her with it."

"What is it?"

"An unlinking spell. It's about time we severed the connection between Sophie and Hayley."

"You know she'll feel it. I told you that the last time you wanted it done."

"Now that our deal with Sophie Deveraux is nonexistent, it doesn't really matter," Nik piped up.

"Wait, why don't I just perform the spell? I know what I'm doing and it would be faster."

"The situation with Hayley is delicate, as you know. If you do magic, Davina will feel it, she'll tell Marcel, then Marcel will start asking questions. Questions with answers that lead back to Hayley."

"Right."

"Shall we?" Elijah gestured towards the front doors of the church and I nodded, making my way inside. Nik stayed downstairs while Elijah and I went up to the attic. Elijah knocked on the open door as Davina sketched. Looking over, she saw us, a smile lighting her face. "I made you a promise," Elijah stated, holding up the pages, which were bound in leather. After being invited in, he unwrapped the pages and she looked down at them.

"The spell of unknotting?" Davina questioned.

"This is a Sanguinem knot," I explained, holding it up. "The witches use it as representational magic. If you can unknot this rope using that spell, you'll have taken an important step towards control."

"This is one of my mother's later spells, requires much more power than you realize," Elijah declared, putting his hands in his pockets. "If you can perform this, I shall return with another page. A spell of your choosing next time." With that, Elijah left the attic, leaving me with Davina.

***

Davina took a deep breath, closing her eyes and holding her hands above the knotted rope. "Phesmatos, omnio ligor coldate sangorium." The knot stayed put as Davina sighed. We had been working on this spell for a few hours now and nothing had happened.

"It's okay. You'll get it. You just need to keep trying," I reassured her. My phone started to ring, so I dug around in my pocket, searching for it. Seeing that it was Elijah, I excused myself from the room, answering it. "Elijah, you better not be checking up on me. These things take time."

"We don't have time. Agnes injected Sophie with a cursed object that will kill Hayley's baby by sundown," Elijah spoke quickly.

"What?!"

"The only way to stop it is by unlinking Hayley from Sophie."

"I'll see what I can do to speed up the process, but if it comes down to it, if Davina doesn't manage to unlink them in time, I'll do it myself and we'll just have to deal with the consequences later."

Elijah hesitated, "okay."

Hanging up the phone, I went back into the room, "how's it going? Did you try again?"

"It's not working! This spell is too hard!" She exclaimed, plopping down onto her bed.

"You just need to concentrate more. Focus on the words and the rope and what the spell is supposed to do. You'll get it, I know you will. Now, come on, let's try it again."

Hope you all had a great Halloween!

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2017.