Chapter 18

I just wanted to post this again, in case anyone didn't' see it. I was thinking about making a Tumblr or Twitter for my stories. It'll be a way for you guys to keep track of when I'm writing, when I'm getting ready to post something new, other stories/types of stories I'm into, and a way to interact with me, if you'd like.

If you're interested in that and would actually follow it/use it to talk with me, then I will go ahead and do it. If not, then no harm, no foul.

Let me know your thoughts!

As soon as I got back to the compound, I knew something was wrong. I could feel Davina's magic. Running up to her room, I found Nik and Rebekah already there, standing around the empty bed. "Bloody, bloody Marcel!" Rebekah exclaimed to the person on the other end of her phone call.

"And you wanted to run off and start a life with this backstabber," Nik observed, his voice full of anger.

"Says the man who was shacking up with him not two seconds before all this went down," Rebekah retorted. The shutters started slamming against the windows as the wind picked up outside. My legs gave out underneath me, sending me to my hands and knees. My breath got caught in my throat, making it hard for me to breathe. Nik was at my side in an instant, placing a hand on my back. The wind slowly died down, allowing the air back into my lungs. I took a deep breath, closing my eyes. I could still feel Davina's magic.

"We need to find Davina," I emphasized as Nik helped me stand.

"We need to divide and conquer if we're gonna stand a chance," Rebekah proposed, looking over at us. "He could have gone anywhere."

"I'll talk to the priest. They might even be at the church. It's the last place we'd think to look for them, right?"

"Okay, you check the church. I'll check...everywhere else," Rebekah sighed, hanging up the phone.

"What about me?" I asked, looking between them.

"You're coming with me. I can keep an eye on you and you can let me know if the effect Davina's magic has on you changes," Nik informed me and I nodded. "Go get your jacket and meet me downstairs." I did as he said, going into my room and retrieving my rain jacket. After this wind, it would be rain. Getting downstairs, I saw Nik holding two cases of canned food and Hayley holding one. She looked like she had been crying.

"You okay?" She nodded, giving me a smile. As we made our way over to St. Anne's, the sky darkened, filling with clouds. Thunder and lightning crackled in the sky. "I think Davina's awake," I called over the wind, feeling a familiar sensation hit me. We got to the church, Hayley and Nik taking the food into the foyer where Father Kieran was handing out blankets to people. "I'll check upstairs," I told them before following the path to the attic.

"She's not here," Hayley commented as I rejoined them in the foyer.

"Based on the feeling I'm getting from her magic, we're further from her now than we were at the compound."

***

Back at the compound, Elijah gathered his siblings to ask for their blessing in consecrating their mother's remains. Hayley and I waited under cover as the rain started to fall, signaling the next stage. I wiped the sweat from my forehead, watching the puddles form in the courtyard. "All this sweat, it's from Davina's magic, isn't it?" Hayley asked, watching me wipe a bead that was running down my neck.

"Yes. The water portion has started, but it hasn't fully hit her yet. You'll know when it hits her because it'll hit me too. We just have to wait," I remarked. A few minutes later, I felt it hit. The rain poured down harder as I began coughing, water pouring out of my nose and mouth. Hayley put a hand on my back, gently rubbing it as I braced myself against the wall, continuing to cough up water.

"Can't you do something? Can't you contain her magic like you did earlier? Or do something to block the effects?" Hayley asked, holding my hair back and I shook my head.

"I can't do it...when she's not here," I coughed out. "I have to be able to...touch her."

"Ellie?" I looked up briefly, seeing Nik walking towards us.

"It's the third stage, it hit Davina," Hayley stated as less and less water came up. The coughing slowly subsided and I closed my eyes, pressing my forehead against the brick wall. "If this is what happens during the water stage, I don't want to know what happens during the fire stage."

"Yeah, neither do I," I retorted.

***

The five of us left the compound to meet up with Father Kieran to consecrate Esther. I wasn't needed in the ceremony, so I stayed in the car, safe from the storm raging outside. As I sat there, I started feeling warm, so I turned the cold air on in the hopes of cooling myself. It helped at first, but then my body heat continued to rise. Turning the air on full blast, I peeled off my jacket and shirt, leaving me in only a tank top. That didn't seem to be enough, my body temperature kept rising. I got out of the car, leaning up against it as the rain soaked through my hair and clothes. "Ellie? What are you doing? You're going to catch pneumonia." Hayley grabbed my jacket out of the car.

"No. The last stage is starting, I can feel it."

Elijah pressed a hand to my forehead, "she's burning up."

"Come on, kitten. We need to go," Nik muttered, ushering me back into the car. We got to the cemetery to find that Sophie had already gotten everything set up. The bodies of the three other girls were already laid out. Hayley, Elijah, and Rebekah each had their own umbrellas while Nik and I stood in the rain.

"They're close," I whispered, feeling my body temperature start to drop. My attention was caught by flames erupting a few rows over. They created a trail behind Marcel as he came into view, carrying Davina. The rain continued to pour down around us as he set her down on the stone slab where the other girls were. Sophie stepped up in front of Davina, a knife in her hand. Knowing what was going to happen next, I grabbed onto Nik's hand tightly.

"Do you believe in the Harvest?" Sophie questioned.

"I believe," Davina nodded. Sophie lifted the knife to Davina's throat, slicing quickly. I turned my head away, tears falling from my eyes. Nik wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me closer to his body. The rain, the fire, the thunder, and the lightning all stopped. Looking over at her, I saw the magic flow down her arm and out of her body. I let out a shaky breath, closing my eyes as I felt the link to her magic disappear.

"It's gone, she's gone," I murmured, opening my eyes. Marcel laid her body next to the others so Sophie could finish the ritual.

"After the Harvest comes the Reaping. Their sacrifices made and accepted, we call upon our Elders to resurrect your chosen ones," Sophie recited. Nothing happened. "We call upon our Elders to resurrect your chosen ones." Still, nothing happened. "Resurrect your chosen ones. Please, I beg." Sophie knelt down next to her niece, crying as I felt my heart sink. We were all so certain this would work. Nik pressed his lips to my forehead, then turned and was gone. Hayley and Elijah were the next ones to leave, Rebekah and I following shortly after.

"I honestly thought that would work," I admitted, shrugging my jacket on.

"So did I."

Happy New Year! Hope everyone stayed safe last night. I spent my night watching crappy TV. 

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2017/2018.