Chapter 8

It was quiet for a while as Elijah and I tried digesting Davina's story about the Harvest. Elijah started fixing the broken violin while I taught Davina how to properly pronounce the words to a spell. "Good. Now say it one more time," I advised as she packed a dress in her suitcase. She repeated the words slowly.

"So tell me, what did you mean when you said you had to die?" Elijah spoke up, tuning the instrument.

"That's what the Harvest was. They said they'd put us four girls in a state of, like, peaceful limbo as part of the offering, and then later at the Reaping, we'd awaken and be reborn," Davina explained, turning away from her suitcase. "I never got as far as the limbo part, which means the Harvest isn't complete. That's why the witches are so freaked out. The Reaping is just around the corner and if they don't finish it before then, it's over. All I have to do is wait it out."

"And then what?"

"They're punished and I'm free," she shrugged, continuing to pack her clothes.

"From Marcel?"

"Of magic. All our power will drain away. I'll be normal."

"Is that what you want? To be normal?" I asked softly.

"I just don't want to be what I am. I can't control it sometimes, the magic. I...hurt people, even when I don't mean to." Tears came to her eyes. "That's why Ellie tutors me. She's teaching me how to control and use it. At least until I can get rid of it."

"Why don't you tell me about your friends? You must miss them." Elijah set the violin down on the table next to him.

"There's Tim." A small smile made its way onto her face. "He doesn't know about any of this witch stuff. He's normal. My best friend, Monique, she was a part of the Harvest, too," she explained. "She's lucky. No one ever fought for me, but someone fought for her. The only one who ever spoke out against the Harvest was Monique's aunt."

"And who is that?" I asked as she turned away.

"Sophie Deveraux." I immediately looked over at Elijah who wore the same expression I did. "No one but Sophie ever questioned the Harvest, not even my own mother," Davina conceded, closing her now-full suitcase. "So neither did I. We thought it was such an honor, we had such faith. We were so stupid."

"So how did it begin?" Elijah rejoined.

"We were led out like princesses. My mother was so proud," Davina began her story. "Bastiana, one of the Elders, called upon the four elements to bind our past and future magic together. Earth to connect us to our ancestors, water to heal the community, wind to carry us to our ancestors and back, fire to purify. After all our preparation, we knew exactly what to expect. For weeks, they told us that the magic in the knife they used to cut our palms would put us to sleep and that later at the Reaping, we would all be resurrected. They said we'd awaken and all be together and more powerful than ever, and it was just like we rehearsed it." Neither Elijah nor I said a word, our focus completely on the girl in front of us. "All that was left was just a little cut on our palms for the blood sacrifice. Even after Sophie tried to stop it, we didn't suspect anything." Davina revealed the one detail none of the girls had been told about. I let out a small gasp, eyes widening slightly.

"Everyone involved in the ritual knew that this would happen," Elijah disclosed.

"Except the four of us." Davina had tears in her eyes as she recalled the memory of that night, mine filling as well. "They weren't putting us to sleep. They were slaughtering us. I begged for someone to help. My own mother turned away from me. Sophie screamed and screamed for her sister, for anyone to do something, but no one did."

"Yet you survived. Therefore, someone or something intervened."

"Yes, someone finally did." Marcel. "Every girl who died released their power onto the next. When I was the last one, I suddenly had all of it. All the power that was supposed to be released back into the Earth to appease our ancestors."

"That's why you're so strong. And why you struggle with control," I suddenly realized. "Because you have the magic of three other girls inside you, as well as your own." Davina nodded.

"So the Harvest was actually working," Elijah concluded.

"Something was working and I knew that I was supposed to be killed so the Harvest could be completed and we would all be resurrected, but they lied to us about how they were killing us. How do I know they weren't lying to us about coming back? But mostly, I just didn't want to die. So I let him save me. Marcel saved my life."

***

After hearing Davina's story, I found that I had a new-found respect for both her and Marcel, even if he did treat me like one of the other witches. I excused myself from the room, stepping out into the hallway to get some air. Leaning against the wall next to the door, I let out a breath, sliding down to the floor. Everything Davina told us seemed so unbelievable, yet it was all true. Was this the reason the witches wanted Nik on their side? Why they took such an interest in Hayley? Why they wanted my help? To get to Davina and finish the Harvest? I ran a hand through my hair before standing up and going back in to the room. Elijah was handing Davina the violin. "You may return this now to its rightful owner. It's restored."

She slowly took it from him, her body starting to shake slightly, "I don't even know if I'll see him again." The room around us began to shake and I could see the fear in Davina's eyes.

"Davina, breathe," I instructed softly, slowly moving closer. The shutters on the windows flew open and as quickly as it all started, it stopped.

"Davina, this power you contain, drawn from your fallen friends, it's too much for you. You need control, which requires study and practice. I know Ellie has been helping you with that, but my mother was a very powerful witch. She left behind her grimoires, a legacy of books filled with spells. These books contain all of the tools that can help you to control your magic. If you free me from here, I can share them with you. Ellie can help you with them. However, if you leave now with Marcel, we'll never see each other again and I cannot find you and I can't help you."

"The witches manipulated me. You know how that ended."

"This is not manipulation. This is one thing in exchange for another. I'm offering you a deal."

"And like myself, Elijah never breaks a deal," I chimed in. "That's kind of why they call him the honorable one." Davina chuckled slightly and I could see the internal debate she was having.

GUYS I'M THE WORST!!! I am so so so so so sorry!

I have been so busy and so stressed lately, updating just kind of slipped my mind yesterday and I finally remembered today, but I've been gone all day and just now remembered. Please don't hate me!

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2017.