Chapter 12

The darkness began to clear from my mind as a warm liquid slowly traveled down my throat. My eyes shot open and I pushed a wrist away from my mouth, feeling a dull ache in the back of my head. Quickly sitting up, I looked around the room. I was lying on the couch, my head propped up on a pillow. "Hey, hey. Slow down," Nik commented, gently pushing on my shoulders. I did as he said, letting my body relax slightly as I leaned back against the pillow. He was sitting on the edge of the coffee table next to me while Elijah stood by one of the high-backed chairs.

"What's going on?" I asked, looking between the brothers.

"We were hoping you could tell us," Elijah commented. "When we got back, we found you on the floor, unconscious and bleeding. Hayley was nowhere to be found."

"What?! She's gone?"

"What happened?" I closed my eyes, trying to recall the events from earlier.

"Josh had just left. He had been here looking for Nik. I was in the kitchen making tea when I heard the door shut, but Hayley didn't come back in," I explained, opening my eyes. "I went out into the foyer to look for her, but she was at the front door again. Marcel was there. I told Hayley to get away from the door and told Marcel that he should leave. After a few minutes, he did, so I shut the door. Hayley and I were on our way back to the kitchen when I felt a pain on the back of my head and everything went dark."

"You don't know who hit you?" Elijah asked and I shook my head.

"It could've been Marcel, I guess, but I didn't see the person."

"Looks like we need to have a little chat with Marcel," Nik growled, standing from his seat.

I stood too, "its fight night, so he's probably at his club." I went to follow Nik and Elijah out of the room, but Nik stopped, turning around and almost causing me to run into him.

"Where do you think you're going?" He questioned, looking down at me.

"I'm coming with you," I simply stated.

"No, you're not." I raised a brow, hands on my hips.

"Excuse me?"

"Less than ten minutes ago, you were unconscious with blood seeping out of the back of your head. Even with my blood in your system, you need to take it easy." I went to protest, but he quickly began to speak again. "Stay here, rest, wait to see if Hayley shows up."

"Fine," I huffed. Nik stared down at me for a moment before placing a kiss on my forehead and following his brother out the door.

***

The sound of a door closing jolted me from sleep. I slowly opened my eyes and rolled over. After pacing back and forth by the front door for several hours, I had laid down on the couch, exhaustion taking over. As I looked around, I noticed I was no longer on the couch I had originally fallen asleep on. Instead, I was in a bed, covered with the blankets. "I hope you don't mind, but you looked a little uncomfortable on the couch," a voice said and I jumped, looking over at the figure exiting the bathroom. Nik was shirtless, wiping blood from his chest.

"What the hell happened to you?" I questioned. "Did you find Hayley? Is she here? Is she okay?" I quickly pushed the covers back, getting out of the bed.

"She's not here," Nik said quickly and I stopped, turning to look at him.

"What do you mean she's not here?"

"I left her and Elijah out in the Bayou after I bit him," he declared, pulling a new shirt on.

"Wait, what? You bit Elijah?" He nodded. "Why did you bite your brother?" I crossed my arms over my chest, eyes hard.

"It seems my brother and the wolf girl are conspiring against me."

I rolled my eyes, "and what makes you think that?"

"This afternoon, I learned that the baby's blood can be used to make hybrids. They seem to think I only want this child so I can make a hybrid army."

"But you didn't even know that was possible. None of us did." Nik shrugged a shoulder, brushing past me and leaving the room. "Wait, how did they find out?"

"Tyler Lockwood was the one to take her. He had a theory that he decided to test," Nik announced as I followed him down the stairs.

"Tyler Lockwood took her?" He hummed in response. "How did he know where to find her? How did he even know she's carrying your child?"

"I don't know, kitten, nor do I really care," he sighed, pouring bourbon into a glass.

"Did you at least kill him?" I asked quietly as he stared out the window.

Nik hesitated for a moment, "no."

Hope you guys enjoyed your weekend. I spent mine working, so no fun there. 

I almost forgot to update since I'm watching the Seahawks game and it's kinda intense. But alas! I remembered! :)

For my American followers/readers: I hope you have a great Thanksgiving! (Or if you don't celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope you have a good holiday break). Be very careful if you're going Black Friday/Black Saturday shopping. Some places can get a bit dangerous. (i.e. Walmart; you might get stabbed).

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2017.