Chapter 25

A month had passed since the night Rebekah left. Hayley had moved out to the Bayou to be with her people after breaking their curse. The vampires had started attacking the humans in the middle of the day for anyone to see while the witches attacked the vampires. Marcel had been exiled and Nik had started sleeping with Genevieve. I know because I walked in on them. Seeing him with another woman like that, it made me angry, but it also broke my heart. I hadn't seen him or talked to him since as I tried to avoid the compound and anywhere else he might hang out. Other than trying to help Cami break the hex on her uncle, I stayed at my shop, avoiding – well, everyone. The witches didn't like me because I'm not one of them and the vampires don't like me because I'm close with the Original family. The only people I really talked to were Cami and Hayley, who was nearing her due date. "Is that really necessary?" Cami questioned as we watched Kieran chain himself up in the attic of the church.

"The sickness, it's – it's overtaking my inclination to forgive, replacing it with one thought that I could barely contain at the summit: 'kill every last one of them'," he revealed and I averted my eyes to Cami, my arms crossed over my chest as I stood in the doorway.

"We'll figure it out," she commented.

"I tried to figure it out with Sean, but I focused too much on that instead of trying to stop him and I'm not – I'm not gonna let that happen to me. You're an O'Connell," he explained, moving towards her. I watched carefully as she moved back, not knowing what Kieran might do. "They are going to ask you to take my place at the table." He came to a stop and I eyed him warily. "Don't. Just leave, just start over."

Cami shook her head, "I'm not going anywhere as long as there's still a chance."

"How many times do I have to tell you I can't be fixed?" Kieran was starting to become frustrated.

"And how many times do I have to tell you I will not stop trying?"

"That is just stubbornness like when you were a little girl. You always had to be right." I took a step forward, dropping my arms as Kieran started advancing on Cami again. "You never listened. Just that thick head of yours. I prayed for you and I got no answer. There is only blackness. There is only death. There's mine...and yours." Kieran lunged at her, knocking them both to the ground. He grabbed onto her ankle as she attempted to squirm away. Using a spell, I knocked him unconscious and Cami moved back, breathing heavily.

"Are you alright?" I asked, helping her stand. She nodded slowly, eyes wide. "Come on, let's get you out of here."

***

Walking up to the compound, I took a deep breath, trying to prepare myself

Walking up to the compound, I took a deep breath, trying to prepare myself. I waited for a group to enter before slowly following them in, showing my invitation to the guards outside. There were people everywhere. In the courtyard, on the upper levels; all chatting or dancing to the loud music. As my eyes wandered, I spotted Nik and Elijah at the top of a staircase, talking with one another. I grabbed a glass of champagne off a passing tray, quickly downing it before heading over to the bar. Ordering my drink, I could feel eyes staring at me, so I glanced over, only to find that it was one of the werewolves, Oliver. He and I like to flirt whenever I visit Hayley in the Bayou. He was cute, but mostly, he was a distraction. From Kieran's condition, the war that was brewing, and from Nik. I averted my eyes as the bartender set my drink down in front of me. "I was wondering when I'd see you again," a voice spoke in my ear and I turned in my seat, coming face to face with the blonde werewolf.

"If you wanted to see me, all you had to do was call," I replied, an eyebrow raised. His eyes raked down my body, lingering for a moment on my legs as I crossed one over the other, the bottom of my dress sliding up slightly. I smirked as he met my gaze. "So, are you just going to stand there and ogle or are you going to ask me to dance?" I questioned, standing from my seat. 

Sorry, it's kind of short. They'll get longer. 

Hope you all have a great weekend! I'll be spending mine working and doing homework.

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2017/2018.