Chapter 11

'You need to hurry. She's getting worse.'

I stuffed my phone back in my pocket, looking over at Davina, who was sitting on her bed, carefully looking over the spell. Her eyes flickered up to the rope, which sat on a table a couple feet away. She got up, moving over to it. "You can do this, Davina," I encouraged, standing from my seat and slowly moving over to her. "Just clear your mind and concentrate on the knot." I watched her closely as she took a deep breath, closing her eyes.

"Phesmatos, omnio ligata solute," she whispered, slowly opening her eyes. She moved her hands so that they were holding onto the rope on both sides of the knot. "Phesmatos, omnio ligata solute. Vinguila cordit." As her hands moved along the rope away from the knot, it slowly began to loosen. Smiles lit both of our faces as the knot untangled itself. "I did it!"

"See, I told you." Davina lifted up the rope, staring at it in amazement, as if she couldn't believe she'd just done that. Pulling my phone out of my pocket, I quickly texted Elijah to let him know it was done. "You did great, Davina. I have to go, but next time I see you, let me know what spell you want and I'll get it from Elijah. Sound good?" She nodded and I grabbed my things before making my way down the stairs. I wanted to go over to the house to make sure Hayley was okay.

"You know, I contemplated leaving bits of you artfully arranged outside your family's tomb. I thought it would leave a fitting message," I heard a familiar voice say from the foyer. Turning the corner, I saw Nik standing not far from Agnes, who was sitting on a pew.

"Nik? What are you still doing here? I thought you left with Elijah," I commented, moving further into the room.

"I did, but then I came back. Had some business with Father K and Agnes to attend to," he replied as I came to a stop next to him. He quickly grabbed Agnes, pulling her into a standing position and getting close to her face. "Don't touch my family," he growled.

"Leave her." I turned my head, seeing Elijah by the doors. Nik spun Agnes around to face his brother, keeping his hand at her throat. "I gave my word."

"You tend to give your word at the most inopportune times, brother. We've been doing things your way all day. Come on. Just a little snap and its toodle-loo, Agnes."

"Nik, don't," I whispered and he glanced over at me.

"She deserves it."

"Niklaus, do not make another move," Elijah advised, moving towards his brother. "You have asked for my forgiveness. I will grant you that forgiveness, but do not make me break my word." I looked back and forth between the brothers as they stared at each other. Nik slowly released Agnes, taking a few steps back.

"My noble brother. How's that for personal growth, eh? Still, it is just like you to spoil my fun."

"Oh, not necessarily." My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as Elijah's gaze moved over to the Elder. Before I could blink, he had ripped the hearts out of the other men in the room, dropping them onto the floor. I had seen him do this on countless occasions during my time with him, it didn't come as much of a surprise. "I swore you would not die by my brother's hand," Elijah disclosed, pulling a handkerchief from his pocket. "I said nothing of my own." Elijah took a few steps forward, grabbing Agnes by the throat and I could see the anger in his eyes. "No one hurts my family and lives." He quickly snapped her neck before turning and walking out of the church. I stared down at Agnes' body before looking around at the other dead men.

"You know, I kinda miss being able to rip out hearts and snap necks with just one hand," I admitted, turning to look at Nik. He had a smirk on his face.

"You always did enjoy killing people," he declared, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and leading me out of the church.

***

"Where is he? I've been trying to find him all day," Josh stated and I rolled my eyes. This kid had been here for almost ten minutes asking about Nik and I wanted nothing more than to slam his face into the door. "Marcel knows that Klaus lied about where he lives." The kettle began screaming from the kitchen, so I walked away to take it off the stove as I heard Hayley reply. I poured the hot water into two mugs, which already had tea leaves in them. Picking my phone up, I texted Nik to let him know Josh was looking for him. As I set it down on the counter, I heard the front door shut and expected Hayley to come into the kitchen at any moment. When she didn't, I furrowed my eyebrows, confused. Leaving the kitchen, I turned the corner into the foyer, then stopped in my tracks, seeing a new face at the door.

"Marcel."

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2017.