Chapter 7

Walking into St. Anne's church, I slowed my pace, letting my eyes wander over the mess Davina and I made last night. Glass and papers were all over the floor, pews pushed at odd angles. I continued on into the church, going up a few flights of stairs before getting to the door of the attic. Gently knocking, I waited for the door to open and when it did, I was surprised at who stood on the other side. "Elijah," I stated, looking him up and down. Besides a small blood stain on his shirt, he looked clean and well put together.

"Elizabeth." I raised a brow at him. "Right, sorry. Ellie. What a lovely surprise. What are you doing here?"

"I – um – I'm here for Davina's lesson," I mentioned, taking a step into the room and lifting the grimoire for him to see. He shut the door, turning to look at me with a confused expression.

"She's been tutoring me," Davina spoke up as she sketched from the other side of the room. "Helping me learn to control my magic. Every once in a while, I slip up." Her eyes locked with mine and I knew she was talking about last night's events.

"I didn't realize you were awake," I commented, redirecting the conversation as I looked up at Elijah.

"Yes. Davina and I were just talking." He wandered over to a small table, picking up Tim's violin as I took a seat on the couch. "Do you play?" He asked her, examining the broken instrument as I took a seat on the couch.

"That's...not mine," she admitted slowly, looking up from her drawing. Loud footsteps were heard on the stairs outside and I quickly opened the grimoire to a random page, pretending to read it as Elijah disappeared. The door opened seconds later to reveal Marcel. He spotted me sitting on the couch, eyebrows lifting.

"Ellie. I didn't realize Davina had a lesson today," he remarked and I looked up at him.

"It was kind of a last minute thing. I've had a very busy week and today was the only day I could step away from the store," I replied, flipping to the next page of the book in my lap. He turned to look at Davina.

"Good news, little D. I'm moving you out of this pile of dust," he announced and I glanced up briefly, still trying to pretend I was interested in the grimoire.

"Are you serious? When?" Davina's face lit up.

"Tonight. I just need to lock in the arrangements. How's our Original?" My eyes widened slightly as Marcel moved over to the coffin, preparing to open it.

"Don't disturb the body," Davina said quickly, stopping him. "I have a spell in progress."

"Bet you do. Pack up, okay? Only take what you want to take," he informed. "I'll buy you anything else you need." Marcel left the room, closing the door behind him. I let out a breath of relief, shutting the book.

"You didn't reveal that I was awake," Elijah observed, stepping out from his hiding place.

Davina shrugged, "we're not done talking yet."

"You and Marcel seem very close."

"Marcel is my family."

"And yet Marcel is someone who delights in harming the witches. Those people, I would think, you would consider family. This doesn't trouble you?" I looked over at her, curious about her answer.

"No. They deserve it." My eyebrows shot up, surprised. Elijah glanced over at me before looking back at the young girl.

"Why would you say that?"

"They're liars, all of them."

"When have I ever lied to you?" I questioned rhetorically, sitting forward.

"With the exception of Ellie," Davina added with a roll of her eyes. "They made me and my friends do this Harvest ritual. They said our participation would bring our family strength, health," she started and my eyebrows furrowed slightly. I had never heard of this Harvest; none of the other witches had ever mentioned it. "That we'd forever be celebrated as saviors of the community, but all they really wanted was more power. So I left before they could get it and now they're running out of time because after the Harvest comes the Reaping, and if they don't complete the Harvest, there won't be a Reaping. Soon, all the witches in the Quarter will start to lose their power. Eventually, they'll cease to be witches altogether."

"So what does it take to complete this ritual?" Elijah questioned.

"I have to die."

I AM SO SORRY!! I completely forgot to update yesterday! I remembered while I was in the shower, then forgot when I got out. Then I was busy putting up Halloween decorations and folding laundry and getting ready for work. But here it is. 

You're starting to find out more about Ellie's connection to Davina. You'll know more in the next couple chapters. 

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2017.