Chapter 13

Months later

"Mikey, I just...I don't know." I said as I put my books in my locker. Mikey leaned on the locker next to mine.

"Is this all because of Liam?" He asked and my stomach churned at the thought of the name.

"No, it's not."

"I really think it is. Are you kidding me? I can't believe you like a guy who left you alone twice so he could get a singing career. I was there for you when he was gone, and you're rejecting me."

I could not believe Mikey had the audacity to mention this again. Why couldn't he just let go of it? I sighed and accidently slammed the locker door which surprised Mikey.

"You know how I felt about it, and now you're bringing it up to make me feel bad." I said and left. I walked quickly towards the end of the hall so I could just go home. I could hear him follow me and call out my name, so I walked faster. I felt a hand grab me and turned me to face him. Mikey gave an apologetic face.

"Wait, Ade! I'm sorry. I was just mad and well, I just really want you to give me a chance. Please, I won't let you down. Just let me take you on a date and that's it. If you don't like it, then I'll just leave you alone. One chance, that's all I'm asking for." Mikey asked me with sincerity in his eyes. I still remember when he was really happy when I let him call me Ade.

"Fine, I will. When is it?" I reluctantly said. Mikey's face immediately lit up.

"Uh-um-er tomorrow afterschool?" he stuttered out.

"Yeah, sure whatever. I'll meet you at my locker." I said and turned around to leave.

I never talked to Liam at all. Even if he called, I just didn't feel like talking because I didn't know what to say. I was still bitter about the sudden exit from my life. Even when he came to visit Wolverhampton, I just didn't bother to go see him when he invited me. I didn't vote for him or watch the X-Factor again just for Liam. Instead, I tried my best to move on. I was now the captain of the track team and I made more friends. Everybody now knew me as Ade, not Adrienne. 

I don't believe that Liam will ever understand the mix of emotions that I felt when he just left me in the dark. Of course I was mad, but I was heart broken at the same time. When he left, it was like he didn't care if I was just his past. The only good I saw in him just leaving, was an experience for me to write. I wrote a story about it, but you wouldn't figure it out immediately. It took time to disect the story down and to see what really happened.

"Don't worry Ade, I won't forget you! We'll still be best friends!"

I used to believe in those words when I was still fourteen. Now that I'm older, they mock his voice and it's like garbage was thrown at my face. I asked him to not forget me, but it seems like he already did before he even auditioned.