Chapter 4

Two Months Later (To the point where they're pretty much bestfriends. You get the point!)

Today I woke up as cheerful as ever. I  brushed my teeth, tied my hair up into a messy bun and changed into my running clothes. I jogged down the stairs only to be stopped by my father.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa missy! Calm down. You're not going to let your dad or mom say Happy Birthday first?"

"Sorry Dad!" I said with a smile I couldn't wipe off face.

"Honey, you aren't going to sleep in and eat breakfast today?" My mom asked after she squeazed out toothpaste on to her toothbrush.

"No! Liam and I are going to go run six miles today for my birthday!"

"Honey, just let her run." My dad said.

"Okay, I guess so. Run safely darling! Happy Birthday honey bunches!"

"Happy Birthday Ade." My dad said and patted me on the back.

"Thanks Mom! Thanks Dad! Bye." I said and finished walking down the stairs.

I quickly jogged over to the pathway. It had trees lined along the sides and the sandy path stretched out and it awaited for me. I noticed a sign with my name on it that was laying to the side of the pathway. I walked over to it and a box wrapped in brown parchment paper with a white bow on it was waiting for me. A card was taped on it and I took it off to read it.

Happy Birthday Ade!

Your finally forteen (like me now) and im glad u became one of my best freinds! I enjoy running with u and i have to admit that sometimes i secretly race u when we run. i hope u like the present i got u. i saw ur shoes and thouht u needed new ones. its not girlie because i picked it out. Have a fun and good brithday. See ya!

-Liam :)

I laughed at all of the spelling mistakes he made. I need to get him a dictionary one day. I closed the letter and unwrapped the gift. It was a Nike shoe box and I opened it.

No way.

A pair of Nike Free Run +3 was sitting in the shoe box. They were dark purple with yellow highlights with a gray sole and shoelaces. I didn't think Liam would get me these. They were a hundred dollars! Wait, where's Liam? I looked around and could spot him. I stood there waiting. After a moment I shrugged it off and started taking off my ragedy running shoes and put on my new Nike Free Runs. They fitted perfectly. It felt light and I was ready to try them out. 

"You like them?!" I heard Liam jump from behind and I shrieked.

"Oh my gosh. Liam! You scared me!" I said and he laughed.

"So do you like them?!"

"Like them? I LOVE them! Thanks Liam! That was really cool of you to do that." I said. I would have given him a hug, but that was kind of weird since we were uh, friends.

"I'm glad you love them then. Happy birthday Ade!"

"Thanks Liam, a lot. I mean it. How did you get these?"

"My aunt got confused with my sister and I. She thought that my sister liked running instead, so she gave her a gift card to a women's shoe store. My sister didn't like anything from there so I bought it from her for less." he said and then he grinned.

"That's so cool. Thank you, again."

"No problem! Come on let's try them out!" Liam said and raced off running. I threw my old shoes in the box and tossed it to the side. I ran and finally caught up to him and we started running at the same pace.

"These are really comfortable and light!" 

"That's good! I did my research too! Anyways I have an idea."

"What is it?"

"I think we should join the track team for school!" Liam said and I turned to face him as we ran.

"Are you kidding me?"

"No! I think it's a great idea!"

"But all the other people in school run way faster than me."

"C'mon Ade! Just give it a try!" he said and nudged me in the rib as we ran.

"I don't know..."

"I think you can run really well, and you deserve to be on the team."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah! I'm sure of it. Look, I'll even join with you."

"You will?"

"Yep, and we'll both be on the track team."

"Okay, I guess I'll try. When is it?"

"This Thursday after school. The first fifteen who gets there first gets on the team." 

"Fine. I can't believe I'm doing this for you."

"Yay! Okay, come on lets finish this six miles." Liam said and ran a lot more faster. We ended up racing towards the whole six miles.

 *******

Since it was my birthday, my mom likes to cook up a storm and boy she did. As Liam and I came to my house panting, you could hear her clinking glasses, frying bacon or eggs, and chopping up vegetables.

"Hi Liam! Hi darling! You guys can go take a shower if you want before breakfast." My mom said while she whisked a waffle mix together.

"Morning Mrs. Hayfields! I'll be sure to take a shower." Liam said and waved to her. We went upstairs and splitted in different directions. I got my clothes and went to go get a shower. Liam however went to our spare room and took his extra clothes from an extra dresser we had and went to a different bathroom to take a shower. Sometimes Liam's parents weren't in town and his sisters were really annoying to be around with, so Liam slept over here and hung out with me instead. He's like one of those best friends that practically lives at your house because of the frequent visits. It was annoying when his sisters teased us and ooo'd and aw'ed when they saw us hanging out.

After I changed I went downstairs and found a table full of food. It seems like a mini buffet. There were waffles, pancakes, eggs, bacon, toast, biscuits, french toast, omelettes, bagels, and a lot more. It was endless and I knew that we weren't going to finish eating all of it. We all sat down and dug in the food. Liam seems to enjoy it the most since he loves anything my mom makes. When I was finally satisfied with all the food, I went upstairs to get ready for school.

It's already the best birthday ever.