[ Epilouge II ]

FIVE YEARS LATER

FIVE YEARS LATER

"Thank you." I said clearly to the barista as I gave a warm smile, my coffee placed carefully besides my laptop.

"May I get you ladies anything else?" The woman inquired nicely, as to which I shook my head.

My eyes wandered over to the other side of the table where my four year old sat, her small hand gripping a green crayon and scribbling diligently in her favorite coloring book.

The barista walked away, leaving me alone as I stared at the toddler before me with a small smile.

"Mommy," she began softly, her hand stopping as she looked up at me.

"Yes my love?" I answered softly, providing her my full attention as I closed my laptop and leaned in closer.

"Are we going to visit daddy?" She almost mumbled, my heart falling entirely as I cleared my throat.

"Remember I told you,sweetheart? We're going to see daddy, but he won't be there to speak with you in person okay?" I speak lowly, giving her a reassuring smile as it quickly fell-her face shifting in emotion.

"Jacqueline, honey," I begin right before my phone begins to ring. I groan slightly, my hand twisting its way into my purse as I brought it up to my ear.

"Veronica Wayne speaking, how may I help you?"

I placed my sight on Jacqueline who began finishing her chocolate chip cookie, the chocolate coating her face in inconsistent patches as she admired the substance on her fingers.

"Yes, I'm listening." I say over the phone, Harper talking my ear off about bringing Jackie over to visit.

"We'll be over soon. We just have to take a few stops along the way." I state, tears brimming my eyes as Jacqueline had locked eyes with mine and smiled widely. Her smile taking up almost her entire face-the smile that made you smile. Her fathers smile.

I end the call with Harper, turning my attention to cleaning the messy toddler before me as I then began to place my laptop into my bag.

"Alright love bug. All set to go?" I ask Jacqueline nicely as she nods quickly.

I place my purse over my shoulder. My left hand darting out to claim the smaller one besides me as I grabbed my coffee with my free hand.

We began to make our way out of the coffee shop, listening in to Jackie's words as she admired the art on the walls before someone calls out behind us.