| Well, Would Ya Look At That... |

I am not dead, I am surely alive.
I also got carried away with this chapter, oops.
Hope you like 🤗
4,950 word count
_______________________________

I awoke, my body covered in a sheet of sweat as I tried to catch my breath. My hazy gaze reached that of the alarm clock resting against the hotel bedside table, the large red numbers blinking as the alarm blared.

I smacked the clock off, Harper poking her head outside of the bathroom with a huge smile and squeal.

"Goooooooood Morning Bride!"

I stayed stiff in my sitting position, Harper moving to open the curtains all the way which allowed sunlight to stream in.

"So, we've got an hour to get to the manor. Emory booked Anastasia to be there then so she can do your makeup and hair. Vera is also there, doing last minute details on the dress-" she begins to pull the duvet off of my frame as I stared blankly in the distance.

"Okay, you're shocked. I know it's a lot but we've gotta go." She giggles as I feel my eyes welling up with tears.

I just had the most horrific dream, the notion of it being possibly true to my unconscious self very, very frightening. It felt so real, I felt Jokers skin under my palm as I hit him harshly-the greasepaint oily under my palm. I was there. His voice, his attachment to me or whatever his motives for attending the reception was blind during the time, but I knew that when I saw him, it really took me out.

"Harper, I can't marry James." I say lowly as Harper gives me the side eye.

"Very funny. Now get up-"

"-Harper, stop." I say weakly, placing my head in my hands as I tried to keep myself together.

"Veronica. Don't do this to this guy, seriously," she states as her jaw is currently ajar.

"I'm sorry, I can't. I'm not ready and I can't promise something like being a wife right now," I speak and she begins to pace, placing her red manicured nails on her face.

"Ohmygod, this is not good. What is going to happen-"

"-simple. I'm not going."

"-I'll be damned! Ronnie, don't just walk away. Be decent and talk to the guy."

I get up from the bed, stumbling a little bit before regaining my balance. Harper looks me over before her face turns red.

"Who is he?" She asks seriously and I shake my head.

"It isn't important. There isn't necessarily a 'he' anyway. We're friends,"

"-friends who screw each other?!" She whispers angrily as I roll my eyes.

"This has nothing to do with him, okay? I need to figure myself out and do some thinking. I rushed into this-"

The phone begins to ring, and Harper picks it up, taking a cheery tone.

"Oh, that's just fantastic! Send it up, won't you? The bride is going to be floored," she speaks sarcastically, aiming her answer to me and I crossed my arms.

She hangs the phone up and throws it on the bed, beginning to pace, her lacquered nails being chewed upon in anxiousness.

"What is going on right now? I feel like everything just crashed-"

"-that's my life, Harper! I realized that no matter what I do, it's just never enough. I was so focused on being like my father, you know, being strong and resilient and closed off. I can't do it. I'm tired of trying to fit into someone else's shoes when I don't even know my size. I thought I knew who I was but after last night, I realized that I'm just a puppet to the Wayne name. There's nothing to myself expcept my father and his company. I'm a nobody, and I can't be a nobody and marry someone, Harper." I cry finally, letting the best held secret slip from my lips in it's entirety as she quickly embraced me.