| Chasing Cars |

"I haven't thought about it." I snip to a timid Emory who clears her throat lowly, her question setting me off slightly as I filed through some items in a box in my once shared apartment with Robin.

"I just worry about you too. You were both so happy...seems like just yesterday,"

"Yeah, now he's frolicking with a sultry redhead. He isn't too concerned with my happiness."

I sigh, closing the box up as I picked it up and walked out of the apartment with Emory hot on my heels.

"We can be a female fight club, you know? Me, you, and Harp. I say we grease up, surprise, and beat the shit out of her,"

"Em!" I laugh, making me tumble slightly as I push the box onto the hood of my car.

"We can't do that,"

"Why? We'll disguise ourselves. I do look different in all black."

-

The grass was particularly green around my mothers grave, her favorite flowers places delicately upon her tombstone as I stood there. For the first time, I hadn't cried.

"I miss you." I say simply, smiling slightly as I sighed deeply.

"Everything was simpler before, you know? All I worried about was term assignments and having to bother dads dates from time to time. I wish I could just...turn back time." I say lowly, the wind blowing a bit harshly as I pushed my hair behind my ear.

"I'll be back soon,mom. I love you."

As I walk by, I place my palm on the top of the cold stone, letting my skin press against the top as I let my hand slide from the slate. My hands pushed deeply into the pockets of my black trench coat, my black boots squishing slightly against the wet grass as I made my way back to my car. I sat there in the drivers seat, in no rush to go anywhere in particular.

My gaze flickered to the rearview mirror, a fresh bouquet of daisies seated against the red leather interior of the sports car. With a deep breath I started the engine, driving to the location I needed to be.

My hands gripped the stems of the bouquet, my throat running dry as I desperately tried to clear it the closer I walked toward the vicinity of this section of the graveyard. It felt like I was meeting someone's parents for the first time, that overbearing feeling of "what the fuck am I doing"?

I read the tombstones slowly as I walked along the rows, my heart beat quickening as I reached the person I was looking for. The tombstone was aged greatly, some of the stone chipped slightly as I reached over and smoothed away some moss and water stains with my palm from the top and face of the stone.

Jane Amethyst Napier
Beloved friend, daughter, and wife.
"Don't feel bad for me, I want you to know. Deep in the cell of my heart, I will feel so glad to go".

"Hi, Jane." I say weakly, placing the bouquet delicately atop of her headstone as I stepped back.

"You may know who I am, you may not,"

I take a deep breath, suddenly becoming very emotional.

"My name is Veronica, and I know your husband Jack. I just want to tell you that I'm so sorry for what happened. I wish you were still here for him..."

I begin to dig my boot into the ground, not knowing what else to say until I reread the quote embedded on her tombstone.

"The Smiths. He listens to them still." I say, a small smile on my face as I nodded.