Chapter 36: Ace of Hearts

Start from the beginning

"Or an intriguing one?"

"I can do that."

Ross looked around them and made sure Robert's attentions were still diverted before continuing on. "Is she—"

Charlotte raised an eyebrow. "I will be telling a bitter lie if I said no."

Ross felt his heart lift at the thought of Lucy being so close to him. "Where is she? How long has she been here? When can I see her?"

"My goodness, Ross, I had no idea the navy had such riveting stories to tell!" Charlotte said in an elevated voice, hinting at him to back down. "If I had known, I'd have surely questioned you sooner."

Ross cleared his throat and settled down. "Sorry."

"I knew this was a bad idea." Charlotte took a sip of wine.

Elizabeth Lucas's voice cut through the quickly-growing tension, attracting everyone's undivided attention.

"I just wanted to say that Sebastian and I are so very happy to have all of you here tonight," she said, her chipper voice only rivaled by the overly generous smile she was, no doubt, forcing out. "I was telling my husband not too long ago, that Ridgewood Park is always so full of love and joy, but it can only be christened by the company of our family and friends."

"Here, here!" Sebastian raised a glass. "To the company of our family and friends."

Everyone collectively toasted to that, but Ross was almost certain that more than half of them were less than enthusiastic. To most, this dinner party dangerously resembled a lion's den.

"I am most thankful, of course, for the presence of my wonderful parents," Elizabeth turned to the Magistrate and his wife, both of whom looked like their only child had forced them here under the pain of death—which wasn't entirely out of the question. "Them being here means the world to me. I cannot imagine how my life could be any better knowing that I am the protect of such an... Honorable marriage." She raised her glass again, but the joy had significantly faded from her eyes. "To the Donaldsons."

Once again, everyone raised their glasses, but the joyous ambiance was clearly gone.

"She may as well have thrown this expensive Madeira in their faces." Charlotte chuckled.

Ross leaned in. "Her father has been having an affair with the maid that ruined Lucy's life, she's been the source of all the accusations against her."

Charlotte turned to him, eyes wide. "And Elizabeth knows?"

Ross nodded. "And she gave Sebastian a list of names that the Magistrate had written down a year ago."

"Names?"

"Of people and families that he named as his enemies, for one reason or the other."

"And Lucy's family?"

Ross nodded. "First name on the list."

Robert cut in, though he had not heard a word the two had discussed. "Someone needs to tell Sebastian to rein his wife in."

Charlotte frowned. " 'Rein her in'? Heavens, sir, she is not a horse."

Robert snorted and did not reply to her.

"Elizabeth is not a fool, Robert," Phillip added. "This dinner party was her idea after all."

"What if she has a... separate agenda?" Robert pressed, clearly bandying his words due to Charlotte's presence, but he was unaware that she already knew everything.

"She is not the one with the record of ulterior motives." Phillip muttered

Robert glared at him, instead addressing Ross. "If I had known that this would pose a risk, I would have opted to remain within the confines of my castle."