Chapter 48

"What happened in here!?" Jason shouted, dodging through her torn up room. Max couldn't help holding her breath as he made her way toward her. She had just finish the last call and all the directors she called went to voicemail. Her voicemails consist of some current events but she was more shocked no one answered and hoped that didn't mean anything.

He reached her and put his hand on her shoulder, drawing her attention to his piercing eyes. "Are you alright?"

Max continued to stare unable to respond, it was something about his angry, concern look that affected her differently than before.

"Max?"

"I'm fine," she looked away, hoping he didn't hear any of that. Max walked toward Luna and put something in Jason's hand.

"A dart," he was immediately at Luna's side feeling for a pulse and everything. When he found it, he sighed a breath of relief and hugged her close to him.

"It's okay. She's fine. I think it just put her to sleep," Jason explained, whether he was reassuring Max more or himself she didn't know.

Max couldnt help it, she smiled. His stance was like a little boy hugging a stuff animal close to him, refusing to let go.

"What?"

She snapped out of it at that and raised a brow at Jason.

"You were the one that was staring," Jason lifted his arms up and put Luna on the side gently, subconsciously fingering and petting Luna's ears. Luna let out a groan of delight and leaned her head closer.

Max sat beside Jason, and watched them thoughtfully before asking what was on her mind.

"How did you guys meet?"

Jason cracked a smile, his eyes wide as if he didn't expect that question but was still ready for it.

"That's a long story. But long story short, I ran away from the Academy and went into the woods. I must have walked for hours, crying from the events that happened before... no I won't tell you," he added with a smile, when he noticed her look. With a roll of her eyes she motioned for him to continue.

"I found Luna hurt, her leg was bleeding and I went to her. I just hugged her, my tears soaking her coat. We must have talked for hours before my parents came. When they came I cried harder and closed my eyes, plugging my ears to drown out their voices," Jason stopped, closing his eyes as if he was feeling it all over again.

"Luna noticed and she jumped in front of me, injured leg and all and she growled, causing them to step back. My parents' faces harden and Luna started yelping in pain. I begged them to stop and for the first time ever they listened to me. We took Luna home, Luna eventually soften enough toward them and she became my best friend. The rest is history."

Max took it all in, her hand finding his. He intertwined their fingers and they sat there, in comfortable silence.

Suddenly a group of people came to the door, all of their eyes turning to Jason. Jason's hand tighten in hers and she turned to him, starting the conversation first.

"What do they want? They seem..."

"Concern but maybe curious?"

"Jason can we talk to you. Alone?" One of them finally asked nervously, as if he was scared Jason was going to stab him.

"Why technically Max is my other half... at least for right now, why can't she come?"

Max could feel his anger through her blocked emotions and tried not to take it in. What did he mean by 'at least for right now'?