Chapter 43

"I don't want to ask you again Max, where are the dragons?" Rav must have asked for the hundredth time since he brought Max in two weeks ago but she refused to budge. Instead she ignored the pain in her knees as she knelt down and stared at him, her glaze full of hatred.

"I know you must think I'm some kind of... monster and I won't deny that that's true but can you blame me? I watched my family die, burned by none other then the dragons themselves."

Max perked up at that and met his intense gold eyes full of hate and disgust. He continued on absentmindly. "They burned them alive thinking I was in the house with them and what did they do to deserve it? Nothing. They only asked for more scales to protect their family. The dragons called it greed but I call what the dragons did injusticed. So I promised I would avenge them. What better way then to kill them and keep all the scales for myself."

Rav had started to pace and though she didn't want to admit it, if he was telling the truth she did feel bad for him. And then she remembered what he did to Jason and the hatred came back.

"I trusted you! I considered you a friend, Jason did as well. Why in the whole world would I tell you anything?" Max spit the words out through gritted teeth and didn't even wince when her head was slapped to the left, the force loud enough for it to echo through the hall. Though her eye had a bruise and she was finding it surprising hard to use the gift of fast healing she was grateful she didn't feel the sting of the slap as much as the other days before.

"I liked you Max. Enough to not kill you right away when I realized I had missed. I could have easily finished Jason off or killed you the healing unable to work fast enough. But did I? No and what do I ask?"

That you stop being a fool and tell me what I want so you don't end up as dead as the others. She recited the words silently and waited for him to repeat it.

"That you stop being a fool and tell me what I want so you don't end up as dead as the others," Rav repeated perfectly showing that through thick and thin Max's memory was still smooth.

"And why don't you go find someone who will actually listen to you?" Max countered receiving two hard punches from the guards holding her down. The cuffs cutting her skin prevented her from punching back.

"I could kill Jason and Luna faster than you can say their names..."

"I'm more surprise you think I left them unprotected. With me still alive there is no way you can harm them," Max voiced dripped with confidence as she hoped Rav wouldn't call her bluff. And to her amazement he didn't, his eyes seeming to darken but he didn't say anything, just simply stared.

"I think you are bluffing? You're too far away to make any contact with animals and inside my walls it is nearly impossible to use your gifts," Rav stated Max realized she might have read too much into his expression.

"Do you want to try me?"

"Yes I do."

Max heard the snap and then heard Rav's muttered whispers, not hearing a single word he said. Max grew nervous with every growing second and for once was grateful she had nice bruises over her eyes because it gave her an excuse to close them and control her emotions.

She heard the hissing noise before she opened her eyes, drawing in a quick breath. In front of her slithered a very angry cobra and before she had time to react it jumped at her with the speed of a lightening flash.

Closing her eyes she expected the bite but Rav had caught the snake by it's head and continued to choke the snake.

"This snake has had it's venom removed but when it strikes it no doubt draws blood. A gift of mine you can say, a challenge to you," Rav grinned, his loosen his hold until the snake was slithering towards her again.