Chapter Twenty-Three

[Chapter Twenty-Three: Wristbands]

"So, you're telling me that Evelyn, Snape, and some kid named Jared are all lying unconscious in a corridor because you two stupefied them?" Aspen asked, her eyes wide. They nodded, and she continued; "And they had a love potion they were going to give to Sirius so that they could directly frame me for r— . . . their accusation?"

"Basically," Wendy mumbled, looking at her friend's face—who looked surprisingly calm. Except for the saucer-wide eyes, of course.

"And Snape, who somehow knew of this plan, exposed Remus' secret about being a werewolf?" Aspen croaked, she really hoped she heard wrong.

When Remus fearfully nodded, Sirius seethed. "Slimy git! Never knows when to keep his stupid mouth shut."

"You're a werewolf," Aspen repeated, her eyes wide in shock. She ignored Sirius' statement, actually—she didn't even hear him say anything. Her mind was too busy spinning. Remus Lupin, the kindest boy she's ever met, the boy she used to like for years, is a werewolf. He was the same creature as Fenrir Greyback, who mutilated her mother. But Remus wasn't like Greyback, Remus was actually sane, he had a wholesome heart. Aspen still couldn't help but feel wary around the boy—or maybe she was just in shock.

"I-I am," Remus stuttered, watching the girl's face contort into multiple different expressions. She was like a metamorphmagus. Wendy looked at her best friend with both pity and fear. She pitied her because of her depressing relations with werewolves, but she was also in fear of how Aspen would react.

Remus clearly did not like being a werewolf, you could tell by his eyes. Ever since Wendy first saw him, she concluded that the boy was depressed—but actually knowing why he was depressed made herself feel depressed. All the fear left in Aspen's mind vanished when she watched the boy's composure fall slowly as each second passed by, she shook her head and embraced the boy. Remus was surprised, all of them were. Aspen did not let go when Remus didn't immediately embrace her back. "Remus, don't worry, your secret is safe with me."

"R-really?" The tall boy stuttered, Sirius grinned. Of course she would be accepting, she's Aspen Lee for Merlin's sake! She cried for a spider's death, after begging Sirius to kill it.

"Yes, of course," Aspen sincerely stated, chuckling a little bit at the same time—out of nerves. "Although, I do have one question, h-how exactly did you become—"

"A werewolf?" Remus asked, interrupting the girl. Aspen awkwardly nodded, she couldn't help asking—she was curious. Had he been bitten by Greyback? The monster did aim for children, and by looking at Remus' scars—they looked old, like he got them as a child. Or perhaps he was born a werewolf, it wasn't uncommon in the lycanthrope community.