Chapter 7 - Proposal

Start from the beginning

"Come in!" I yell as I walk towards the mirror to tie my scarf.

"Hajiya Fatima said you have 15 minutes to eat and finish getting ready. She wants you to be out of the house by 5." Bello said after he drops the tray on his way out.

"I wonder what I have done that my own mother is sending me out of my father's house." I said more to myself. After eating, Amina and I head to the car.

"Oh shit I forgot my phone!" I said as I turn to jog back to my room. After getting it and putting it in my purse, I decide to tell my dad goodbye since I didn't see him in the morning before I left for work. About to enter his room I hear my mum talking.

"....believe this is happening. All this noise I have been making for her to........" I hear a ringtone. Shit it's mine. I run outside so I won't get caught. Amina was already in the car waiting. I open the door and sit beside her. I keep on repeating what I heard my mum say.

"Is everything alright?" Amina asked.

"I'm not entirely sure." I said not sparing her a glance. I use my phone till we arrive at Manal's house. It's like Manal was waiting for us because immediately the driver stopped the car she came running outside.

"I missed you guys so much!" She screamed as she squeezed me in a hug.

"If my laptop falls and breaks, it's Sameer that will buy me a new one." I said holding my bag tightly.

"We were here just last week. Are you that bored?" Amina said almost immediately.

"Oh my God yessssss. I can't wait to go back to school. This man is always leaving me at home."

"So you rather be in school studying whatever medicine students study?" Amina asked. Manal nods her head vigorously in reply.

"Low-key, he is tired of you already." I said.

"That's impossible." Manal said as she drags me and Amina into her house.

After we settle down, we start watching Geostorm. While watching it, we hear a beep on someone's phone. We all check our phones at the same time. It isn't mine so I just drop my phone back and keep on watching the movie. Manal stands up and leaves the living room. Amina also drops her phone so I guess the sound came from Manal's phone.

A little while after, I hear Manal's ringtone from afar but only for a split second maybe it's because she either cut it or answered it. Might be her husband so I didn't really bother much.

I really need to sleep but the movie was coming to an end so that's when my attention is at 200%. Suddenly I hear footsteps coming my way and the sofa I was on dips in as someone sits there. That's weird, I thought Amina was sitting there. So I turn my head to see who it is. To my surprise, I see Ismail. I am so confused. I bet my expression portrays it too because Ismail chuckles a bit.

"When did you get here? Where did Mimi disappear to? I could swear she was just here." I said looking around the room.

"I just got here and I've got no idea where she is." He said calmly as he adjusts himself to face me.

"I actually wanted to ask you something." He said as he looks at me with some sort of expression.

"Shoot." I said as I turn my head back to the TV just to watch the credits.

"I need your attention here, with me." I just turn my head slowly, he sounds like he is about to drop something heavy. I open my mouth to ask what is up with him when I see him slide to the floor and he is on his knee and his eyes look into mine, well into my glasses cause I took off my contacts before I left home. He presses something on his phone and something starts playing. I've heard that before.