|Chapter XLVI|

If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down

Chapter 46: Better without you

The drive from my grandparents to home didn't feel nearly as long as it did now. The car would usually be filled with music or Jordan and I having conversation. This time it was different. You were able to feel strain, all of it coming from Jordan's side.

I opted from engaging in talk because I knew he wasn't in the mood to talk. From the way his grip was tightly wrapped around the steering wheel, to the clenching of his jaw.

He wasn't the same anymore. He rarely smiled and when he did it wasn't for long. He looked like he was lost when Cali told him the truth. He was still lost even after getting the answers he was looking for. It's like he became distant with himself within all the commotion.

Slummed in my seat, I peered at him from the corner of my eye. All his attention was focused on the road for the twenty minutes of driving. By now he would've at least said something, even asking for the time yet he didn't.

When I pictured myself going to jail, it was me trying to bail Colton out. He called me the first time he got arrested which was stupid considering I lived two hours away. The guy was caught fighting for money which was illegally. Which of course he knew yet it didn't stop him. It made sense why he fought, he was able to receive some cash and it saved him from having to pay for a gym membership.

However, I didn't see myself willingly going to jail. I wouldn't have thought I would have any family who were criminals. Though it was a different story for him. His father was an offender of both Jordan and his mom and who knew if there was more.

I couldn't understand what he was dealing with yet I understood why he wanted to see him. Cali didn't think it was a good idea but she was just scared. She feared the unknown and what would come out of this visit.

Michael Brits was a dangerous man who'd even hurt his own family. That would forever stick to his name no matter what he did. Whenever he was to be released, no one would want to be associated with him. He had a reputation that I doubt anyone would want to identify with.

We arrived at the highly guarded prison, coloured in an ugly grey. The weather seemed to have changed. Grey clouds overshadowing the tall fenced walls. Police officers walked at every corner of the premises fully armed and aware of their surroundings.

I noticed Jordan release a heavy breath that he'd been holding since we left. I placed my hand over his, that rested on his right thigh, giving it a gentle squeeze. He rubbed his thumb over my knuckles still looking at the building.

"He's in there." He said to himself before driving into the prison.

We didn't get right out of the car as he tried collecting himself for the few moments we spent in the car.

After going through security and signing papers to show proof we were here. We followed a police officer who led us through to the east block of the prison. Patiently we waited outside the visiting ward not minding the waiting. Jordan looked like he could benefit from the delay.

"What are you thinking?" I asked leaned against the wall in the hallway.

"What I'm going to say to him." He replied meeting his eyes with mine.

"Are you scared?"

"Of me looking like him? Yes, I'm afraid of that." He'd never seen a photo of him and today would be the first time he came face to face with Michael after fourteen years.