Chapter 17 - We Are Family (Sister Sledge)

Start from the beginning

"Leo is sharing with me"  Jorge grunted, thumbing to my bestie who smirked back at me.

Raising his eyebrows up and down in demented glee. While I slapped my head and actually spluttered out loud....

"I'm such a Derpa!"

They're becoming more than just friends. He and the big Puerto Rican have found each other and it only took the end of the world to make it happen.

"Still my little innocent"  Leo chuckled.

But he peered intently over my shoulder at Guillermo, making sure he  understood.

How embarrassing  😬

Eighteen thousand kilometres from home and here I am. With His Nib's taking on the role of my new and over-protective big brother. I groaned under my breath and rolled my eyes.

Guillermo must've indicated his understanding of the 'not so'  subtle hint. Because Leo turned and dumped his bag onto a rumpled bed, then closed the door. 

After a slight tug on my shirt sleeve, we continued walking further down the corridor. Recognising the route I started to dawdle. Eventually, we reached his bedroom.

The door opened and my pack was placed on his bed. I snatched it back. Stood there....armed and ready.

G held up his hands to appease me.

"I can see the steam coming from your ears, my little green-eyed dragon. It's not what you think. Again we're misunderstanding each other. You'll have my bed...."

He stopped and opened a door to a small adjoining room. There's a rollway in one corner, a small side table under a window plus another clothing rail.

"....and I shall take this one."

As he finished his sentence I ducked underneath his arm holding the door open. Plonked myself and my bag down onto the cot. Prepared for another battle.

My voice was sweet as pie and I had a smile to match as I drawled.

"No....you shall sleep in your own bed and I shall sleep in this one. I'll be very comfortable and you need a bigger room. You have a lot of responsibilities, need to sleep and rest well."

He gazed at me for a moment as if considering what I'd said. Then simply nodded his assent.

What? Noooo....too easy!

HANG ON!

If there was a comfy bed so close by in this room....then why did he sleep on the rocker next to me last night? He still would've known if I'd tried to leave.

Again, his voice interrupted my train of thought and I lost it.

"Very well, but you've had two very full days. So, I insist that you make yourself comfortable. Unpack your things and have a rest. You need it."

Hell to the no on that proposition as well! Yet I keep my temper.

WTG moi!

"Guille...."  I crooned the diminutive of his name in a tone full of saccharine,

"....we've both had two very big days. I'm not a baby or a Nanna and I don't need a nap....can unpack my gear later. Right now I need to go out there. Get to know your vato's and start pulling my weight."

"I insist"  I finished sweetly, with an exaggerated smile to match.

Again a look....a slow nod.

My eyes narrowed in suspicion. As he's given in far too easily....twice in a matter of minutes. I smelt the world's biggest rat and immediately suss it out.

Something bigger will come. Something he'll insist upon and not back down from without a big fight from me. I find I'm actually looking forward to that one.

I know it and he knows it too.

"Leo calls you innocent, but he needs to rethink that assumption. Doesn't he....my little picara?"

"I'm not a rogue!  I have no idea what you're talking about, Guillermo"  I replied haughtily, ducking under his arm again and striding out into the corridor.

 It took a while, but eventually....he followed.

Dictionary

Compadres (Spanish) - Friends

Plonked - To sit or put something down

Nanna - Grandmother

Picara (Spanish) - Rogue (feminine)