Chapter Twenty Four

Chapter Twenty Four

I felt butterflies when we passed the route which usually led to my house.

For once, I wasn't going back there. And I had thought what I experienced before was freedom.

No.

This was freedom.

Case laughed, bumping into me when Abe took a sharp left. His driving skills were getting doubtful. But, I knew we were safe.

"C'mon!" I said to Case and rolled our windows down. It was snowing. Snow feathers falling on the ground. I shoved myself half out the window and Case did the same. This was freedom.

And crazy. I knew.

"You guys! Come back in! It's dangerous." Logan snapped.

We laughed. "No. It's amazing! I can hear the wind, Logan!!"

Casey was right. I could hear the wind too.

Abe laughed, "You two will definitely catch a cold tomorrow."

"No, we won't!"

"Yes, you will."

And so they kept on.

"Aubrey come back in. Please." Logan's voice startled my cold mind. My teeth were clattering.

So I got back in and dragged Casey back down too.

They punched the heat two notched high and we stopped shivering a few minutes later. Logan glared at me and then at his sister, lectured us for two long minutes but then started laughing his own at the end. Who were we to not do the same?

It might be silly, what I did back there, but it was something I would always cherish in my memories. A happy place to go to in my head when something bad would happen to me.

No... tonight was about me and my friends.

Abe parked the car and we all rushed for the warmth 0f the house. The house was dark but cozy.

"I need hot chocolate. Anyone?" I asked, sprinting into the kitchen as if it was mine not theirs and I'd been doing this kinda thing for ages.

"I'll help." Logan walked inside second later.

"I will take some!"

"Me too!" Well, no one would ever say no to a hot chocolate here. Dumb of me to even ask.

Logan grabbed the milk carton and I poured it into the glasses to have a perfect measurement. I did the rest while he grabbed the mugs.

"I'm sorry." It was so out of blue I stopped whizzing whipped cream and turned around to face him.

He stood close. Too close.

My head started to spin. My body doing all sorts of wrong things. My brain cells were fried by his proximity.

I needed distance because only then did my brain worked rationally.

He brushed a loose strand of my hair behind my ear, playing with the stupid earring Casey had me wear.

"Why? I mean, for what? You didn't do anything wrong."

He shrugged, his eyes focused on my shoulder. His messy hair, slight stubble on his jaw was distracting me way too much. "I just... it was supposed to be the best night for you. Your first high school party. Your first date. And ..."

I grabbed his hand and it startled both of us. It was rare when I initiated any physical contact between us. "It wasn't your fault. And who said it was not my best high school party? My date sucked big time but..."