1.18 The Truth

I touch my swollen lips with a smile on my face. I don't understand what happened. One minute, I was arguing with the jackass; the next, I was kissing him. However, that's not even the most terrifying thing. It's the fact that I enjoyed this kiss and enjoyed it more than I should have.

I giggle but quickly cover my mouth with my finger as I remember Angela's face. I sit down and stare off into space, biting my bottom lip. I'm left wondering what to do next.

Eventually, a chime comes in, letting me know I received a text.

I am fascinated by the shape of your lips and how they fit so perfectly with the shape of mine.

Initially, I felt like I was in paradise, completely lost in my thoughts and free from any worries. I was happy and carefree. However, my peaceful state didn't last long as I noticed Angela angrily walking towards me in the cafeteria and sitting beside me.

Angela slams her tray onto the table, revealing her anger. I stare at her warily, fearing she discovered my secret with Leo.

"Did you meet Carmel?"

I feel so relieved. I feel like a bouncing ball, but I nod soberly.

"Yeah, she's a piece of work," I murmur.

"I hate them. Leo was seeking someone to sire, but he already has one," Angela sighed, angrily taking a bite of her bagel.

I feel guilty; my honest voice screams at me to come clean. But my reasoning as a traitor tells me to keep my mouth shut.

I am about to say something trivial to light up the mood when Elena sits next to me, giving me a death glare that makes Angela take the hint. She picked up her plate and walked away.

Elena stares at me while I hesitantly eat, wondering why she's here. "You've been skipping class a lot," she says.

I take a bite of my bagel, feigning enjoyment of my food to avoid talking to her. "You can't expel me," I say smugly with a mouth full of bread.

She gives me an angry, piercing stare. "Don't tempt me."

"Please. You and I both know you want me just as dead as the person I am looking for."

She gave me a sinister grin, which made me want to retaliate, but I took another bite of my bagel.

"Lexi," the headmistress murmurs angrily under her breath.

"Can't trust vampires nowadays," I chuckle, almost spitting bread out of my mouth.

Elena gave me a look full of disgust, shook her head, and left.

Eon stands in front of me with a friendly smile. I notice that in his hands is a glass of blood. "Mind if I sit with you?"

I am about to say no, but Leo's words come back to my mind. You wouldn't have fallen for me if I was sweet like Eon.

"Sure," Eon's eyebrow shot up in surprise, and he sat down fast. "So what did the headmistress want?"

"Oh, she just wanted to talk to me about me skipping classes."

Eon chuckles. "Ah, Isabella, the rebel."

I laugh despite myself. "It wouldn't be me without being a rebel."

"I like one thing about you," Eon says, looking at me with blue eyes resembling storm clouds. He moves closer to me but clears his throat as if recalling something unpleasant. Suddenly, with a sad expression, he gazes into his glass of blood.

"Eon." He looks up at me. "Thank You."

He looked at me in disbelief, and I felt terrible. "Why?" he whispered.