1.17 Carmel

I stare at the mirror, a towel wraps around my body, and water drips down, seeping into the towel. My eyes feel sore and puffy because of all of the crying that I have done. Looks like Angela's makeup lessons to hide imperfections helped cover all the tear stains.

So, firstly, I applied the foundation all over my face to give myself an even look; it helped hide the puffiness, and once again, it was as if nothing had happened last night. Then I apply the glittering eye shadows and my favorite black liner, which I usually wear daily. Then I put on some layers of waterproof mascara and finish with my favorite lipstick, the color of pomegranate seeds.

I wear jeans, a tank top, and my lucky boots every day. I am late today, thanks to my breaking my alarm clock. I missed breakfast, English class, and math. So it's lunchtime. I'm not hungry; I settle for a can of Coke. Leopold sits next to me. "Hello," I try to ignore him as best as possible. "So you're truly not talking to me?" He smirks and is about to say something. Suddenly, a beautiful girl walks towards where Leopold and I are seated.

 A vampire. I stare at her in awe, like every other girl at the school. The vampire is tall, with blondish-brownish hair. Her light blue eyes glistened, and she tugged at her skinny jeans that hung low in her waist. Wearing a shirt that only hides her boos and makeup that makes mine look like shame, this outfit enhances her beauty.

"So Leo,"  she walks to Leopold and seductively puts a hand on his back but stares at me. "What's there to eat around here," she says with a beautiful European accent.

"Carmel. This is Isa. Isa, Carmel." 

She gave me a fake warm smile. "Hello, Isa."

"My name is Isabella," I say with annoyance.

"Nice to meet you," she looks around like a predator. "Though this is not where I usually hunt," she pouts. Then gave me a look of pure regret.  "Leo said I can't kill you, which is dull."  I stare at her, more out of curiosity than being offended.

She was baiting me. I could see it in the way she spoke so openly. Well, three can play the same game.  I stand up and walk until I am in front of her, and then I bump into her in an accident, walking straight to the trash can. She stumbles back with a hiss.

She's suddenly blocking my path as she gives me a murderous glare. "Carmel," Leo says; there is a hidden command in how he says her name.

 I wiggle my eyebrows at her with a taunting smile.  Not so fun now, bitch?  She did not move and kept glaring at me, giving me a look of pure hatred, which made me laugh.

"So you were telling the truth. You can't kill me." 

She bares her fangs at me, pissed off at this point. I smile amusedly at her. "Don't piss me off," she says through gritted teeth.

"Or what?" I challenge. "You'll  turn green?" This makes me dissolve into a puddle of laughter, and I can see my stomach shaking as I try to fight a new gale of giggles.

She takes a menacing step toward me.

"Carmel," is all he says, but it is full of authority.

 She stops and glares at me. Then, smile crookedly. "This school has been running for hundreds of years, right?"

"So," I say.

But I know what she wants to say. We learn this in history—a massacre when the school first opened. I glared at her, then at Leopold in disgust. That was them?

"Sixteen seventy-two doesn't ring a bell?" 

I chuckle, looking down at her as if she was just another child begging me for pity. She smiles at the stony glare carved into my eyes. A similar fury blurs into my sigh, but I contain it by tightening my jaw. I couldn't believe Leopold was such a horrible monster.